• Advertisement

Heavy Arrow, Noob needs help

Lets Talk Archery..

Heavy Arrow, Noob needs help

Postby hubtech » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Hey guys. Just picked up my Bear Encounter Oct 1. Been shooting it in my back yard @ 20 and 30 yards, love it.

I'm thinking about getting in the woods this weekend. When i bought it the fella at gander sold me some cheap whitetail carbon arrows. I've been doing some reading and i need help picking out my arrows.

My bow's set at 70#, 32" draw. I am eyeballing the FMJ or one of the Piledriver series. I'm new to archery and would like to know what you reccomend for an arrow. I've got 6 Muzzy 4 blade broadheads, they seem to be pretty tried and true. pointy and sharp, should put em down.

thanks all :moon
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Re: Heavy Arrow, Noob needs help

Postby FireCloud » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 pm

They are not cheap, but I shoot Easton A/C/C arrows tipped with Grim Reaper mechanicals. The arrows are superb. They are strong, straight, and light weight so they fly better than any arrows I have ever shot. Check into them.

What you want is for your arrows to fly well from your bow, with a good, flat trajectory. Whatever broadheads you use, they need to hit true to where you aim. Typically it pays to experiment with different combinations until you find the one that works best in your bow. Like guns, bows tend to shoot some arrows and broadheads better than others.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 am

I had really good results with Easton axis. And RAGE of course!
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby e_smith06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:04 pm

I shoot Gold tip arrows, they are .001+/- straightness. I've yet to see another arrow manufacturer that can claim this. I'm currently shooting Rage broadheads, and have had good luck with them, but I'm going to try the g5 t3 heads next.
Last edited by e_smith06 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Postby brewer03 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 am

I shoot gold tips tipped with nap spitfires
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby hubtech » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Went with the piledriver hunter. Super accurate and fast. Favorite thing is it burries a good 4-5" deeper than my whitetail 6075s. Looks like next weekend will be my first hunt.
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby Borf722 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 pm

If they are flying straight and you have confidence that you are going to hit where you aim, I don't think it matters. I have killed with very light arrows as well as heavy with fixed blade and mechanicals. With that bow you should pass through a whitetail at that distance with any arrow tipped with a sharp broad head.
Borf722
button buck

Postby killabig1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Heavy arrows penetrate better, handle vibration better, and stabilize better. You'll get more pass-thru's though you'll lose a tiny bit of speed.
Stick with Muzzys and you won't lose any energy with the blades opening up in the deer.
killabig1
button buck

Postby BDHunts » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

PSE Carbon Force and you won't go wrong....
Genesis 27:3 “Now then, get your weapons — your quiver and bow — and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.”
"Odocoileus Virginianus"-The original fast food
Hunt hard, Hunt long and Hunt safe
NRA LIFE MEMBER
BDHunts
6 Point

Postby hubtech » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Shot 4" groups of six arrows out to 40 yards this evening having several pass throughs on my buddies target. Leaving for camp tomorrow night, I'll keep y'all posted on my luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby Cody.durr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:29 am

Wow 70# at 32" is a powerful combo. I would suggest a heavy arrow like an Easton fmj or axis infused in a 340 spine. Reapers are good heads if you shoot heavy arrows. Remember, speed is only half the equation. Penetration is what kills deer.
Cody.durr
Spike

Postby hubtech » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:35 am

Actually using the pile driver pass through extreme. 10.3gpi. Now I just need to get in the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby LazyGhost » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:58 pm

hubtech wrote:Hey guys. Just picked up my Bear Encounter Oct 1. Been shooting it in my back yard @ 20 and 30 yards, love it.

I'm thinking about getting in the woods this weekend. When i bought it the fella at gander sold me some cheap whitetail carbon arrows. I've been doing some reading and i need help picking out my arrows.

My bow's set at 70#, 32" draw. I am eyeballing the FMJ or one of the Piledriver series. I'm new to archery and would like to know what you reccomend for an arrow. I've got 6 Muzzy 4 blade broadheads, they seem to be pretty tried and true. pointy and sharp, should put em down.

thanks all :moon

I dont know much bout the questions asked. And I am no expert bow hunter. Yet, I have learned a thing or two and am fairly successful. And since your new to archery, I thought id share my thoughts about a few things archery.

70lbs. 32inch draw......for most people, that combo is too extreme. Though, for all I know, it could be perfect for you.

Most folks, 70lbs is too much. They can draw it and shoot it. But, after a few pulls at a target, they get the shakes. Your bow weight MUST be set at a point which allows you to draw your bow with relative ease. If you struggle or get the shakes after a few shots, then you need to get it turned down. A 60lb bow will kill a deer just as easily as a 70lb bow. Much more easily if you struggle with 70lbs. Sit in a stand a few hours, in the cold, then have a nice buck walk out, and then try "slow drawing" that 70lb bow. It aint gonna happen if you struggle practicing. Trust me, most folks who brag about there bow being 70+lbs, are dummies. :D

32" draw......that may be right for you. I donno. But im 5'11 and I have a 29" draw. So I figure im somewhere in the norm.

As far as hunting goes, always have plenty of cover. Dont be the dummy sitting on the edge of a plot. Be a few trees back. And have a few shooting lanes. When the deer is moving thru the plot and its head geta behind a tree that your using for cover...Move and draw, and do it swiftly! When the deer cant see ya, dont be moving in slow motion. Draw that sucker, aim and freeze. That works best for me anyways. I move swiftly into a shooting position when the deers head is behind a tree or looking the other way. That slow crap will get ya busted. Like half standing or drawing half way and the deer turns your way and stares for 5 minutes. That sucks! lol

Now, this part will be controversial with other folks. Practice is over rated. You dont have to practice all the time to shoot a bow 20-30 yards accurately. What is important is that you practice enough "learn" good form. This is where most folks fail. They practice a lot and dont know what theyre supposed to really be learning. This "understanding" came easily to me because I am a semi pro player at another sport. And you dont become a semi pro player at something without learning proper form. And understanding the importance of it. Now, if I wanted to take a stab at being a semi pro archery shooter...then I would practice all the time. But to shoot a deer or target 20-30 yards, I AM as good as anybody.
Practice all want. But learn what your proper form is. And when your in a tree and drawing your bow, make sure your form is correct.

What is proper form? Well, like I said, im no expert and dont wanna be. The high points of proper form would be a few things I guess. One, when you draw your bow, DONT HOLD IT! Holding the bow while aiming allows you to make minor adjustments with your bow holding hand. This creates inconsistencies when shooting. And is why you keep hitting the target way to the left/right every 3rd shot. lol Now, I figure that confused ya. Read back over that and think on it. Itll come to ya.

Hmmm. The other really important part about form would be this. When a deer comes along, it looks the other way and I move swiftly into my proper form, I am not bent over, leaning down towards the deer when doing this. Instead. I draw and set my form just like I would do if I was shooting at a target that was on level ground straight in front of me, then, holding my form, I aim down towards the deer.

Thats all I got now. The ole ladys calling me for supper :thumbsup:
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby hubtech » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Great info. I'm 6'7" and have a super long wing span. Also 275 lbs. I'm a big boy! I practice from my climbing stand at 25yards daily. I've got half a dozen arrows, and can shoot about 24 shots without issue. I'm not trying to come off as puffing my feathers, just a big boy.

2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby LazyGhost » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 pm

hubtech wrote:Great info. I'm 6'7" and have a super long wing span. Also 275 lbs. I'm a big boy! I practice from my climbing stand at 25yards daily. I've got half a dozen arrows, and can shoot about 24 shots without issue. I'm not trying to come off as puffing my feathers, just a big boy.

Sounds good!

My advice was for the normal person. You being an abnormally long armed sasquatch, threw me off. :thumbsup:
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:40 am

Hubtech, it really hurts me to say this, but LazyGhost made some really good points for average people. Shooting what you can handle easily is key. Having said that I'm 6'3" and used to be very stout. I shot tournaments with an 80 pound draw and shot hundreds of times per week. That was 20-25 years ago and now drawing 40 pounds is exremely painful due to some health problems. My point is, everyone should pay attention as they age and don't be ashamed to adjust your poundage down when it's needed.

Most of the things I learned are in LG's post, but here's mine. Find a consistant anchor point. When you draw, your peep sight should automatically be in front of your eye with no moving around to find it.

Have a strap on your bow so you don't have to hold it. Don't grip the handle even after you shoot. Let it fall away after the shot and let the strap catch it on your wrist. It's amazing how much more consistant your shots will be.

Always hold your bow straight up and down, not cocked to either side.

I'm a long way from being an expert, but was pretty successful while I was still able to bow hunt. Good luck and we want to see pictures of the first victim along with the story.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Return to Archery