• Advertisement

Residential Hunting

Lets Talk Archery..

Residential Hunting

Postby Solo_Bro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:44 pm

I live in a surburban neighborhood on 1.5 acres(partially wooded), what is MS law for hunting in such an area with a bow? I have seen it being done up north the past few years, but I haven't seen any actual laws regarding the process in MS.
Solo_Bro
button buck

Re: Residential Hunting

Postby Nogocyclist » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Mississippi's law for a bow is the same as it is for a shotgun. You have to have 10 acres to legally hunt it within a city's limits. There are also distances you have to be from a dwelling.

The exception for using a bow in city limits only applies to areas annexed after September 1, 1981. For areas that have been in the city limits before that time, a city can prohibit the use of a bow. For that reason, it is best to check if you want to stay legal. https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ms/ms.xml.2010/2010/title-45/9/45-9-53/index.html

For the most up to date copy of the MS Code use the Free Version of Lexis Nexis at this link: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/ To use it first search the law with Google and when you find the number (example 45-9-53) then you can confirm that it is up to date on Lexis Nexis. The other places that allow access to the Code are not updated regularly so that method is the best way to get the current law in this State without paying for it.
Nogocyclist
10 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 am

Welcome solo :welcome:

I hate reading legal mumbo-jumbo & trying to decypher them...

What I read in the link nogo provided, is that the municipality may NOT regulate bow/arrow discharge

A county or municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the county or municipality or in an area annexed by the county or municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(i) A shotgun, air rifle or air pistol, BB gun or bow and arrow discharged:
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 pm

u better know all the neighbors cause if u shoot a deer with a bow on 1.5 acres then theres a high chance that the deer is gonna need to be tracked on other owners properties............
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Archery