• Advertisement

Buck fever

Lets Talk Archery..

Buck fever

Postby bigsteve » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Been helping a young man with his shooting and tonight he ask me how to overcome buck fever belive me I was the worlds worst I would get so excited sometimes I would hypervenilate and get nausiated if you have this problem here are few things that might help practice so you have all the confidence in the shot. Sit down to shoot you will have better control of of the Shakes do not look at the deer until you are ready to shoot pick a spot on the deer where you intend to place the arrow and focus on that spot dont worry about horns or wether you are going to miss pick a spot where you want the deer when you take the shot and dont rush your self pump your self up talk to your self this will help I have been very fortunate to experience this many times in my bow hunting career it is nothing to be ashamed of you just have to adapt and overcome it will get easier with every encounter my only regret is that I will not get to have that rush ever again with a conventional bow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Re: Buck fever

Postby Spitfire » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:07 am

Been hunting since 12years old but sometimes you meet up with an animal that just gives you the shakes.....
Spitfire
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 am

Good points BigSteve. When i'm hunting, I like to try and visualize every possible scenario while I'm sitting on the stand. Things like: What if the buck comes from this direction or that direction.. What if he's running, where do I try to stop him and how.. What if he comes from my left (I'm left handed)... On & On..

If you ever quit getting Buck Fever, its probably time to find another hobby. Its part of the "experience" :)

I still get excited, even taking a doe..
gtk
Admin

Postby brewer03 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 am

yep I still get shook up even at shooting a doe and I absolutely love it
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 pm

I still have the rush but it is a lot easier to controll the emotion this young man has never killed a deer with his bow we aim to fix that he gets so tore up when a deer gets close and has resulted in several misses also bad judgment on a couple of ocasions trying to shoot too far I let him know he isnt the first one who makes these mistakes we have all been there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby hubtech » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I only had one chance last year, on a pretty small doe so I passed. This year...i'll probly take a shot on a smaller doe, meat's meat. and experience is well....experience
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Good advice Steve. I do not know what it is about bow hunting that makes the adrenaline rush so but it does. There are times I shake so bad it is a wonder I do not fall out of the stand!! I just have never been able to shoot my bow sitting. I just have trouble drawing like that
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Return to Archery