• Advertisement

It can happen in a flash

Lets Talk Archery..

It can happen in a flash

Postby patinlouisiana » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I heard today that a friend of mine's son fell out of a climber an estimated 28-30 feet.
This is normally lethal or crippling at the best. The fact that he was in excellent shape probably saved him. Many broken bones but no internal or spinal damage. He should make a full recovery.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND WEAR YOUR HARNESS!
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Re: It can happen in a flash

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:05 pm

Hoping he is OK and heals good.
This is why" I Do Not Climb" into a stand more than 5 feet off the ground.
I've never seen a deer in a tree.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby jv » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Praying for a fast and complete healing, I don't climb anymore either with a climbing stand I'm just to wobbly in my old age.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Praying for him, climbing of any kind is dangerous. Please be aware at all times and wear your safety harness.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 am

been there done that, but NEVER again. more than likely, he will suffer from this fall the rest of his life.. prayers for a full recovery
gtk
Admin

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:42 am

Praying
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Yes, I'm praying for full recovery too. Cannot believe he went up that high. He is super fortunate no head, spine, or vascular injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:21 pm

Prayers.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:01 am

Many years ago one of my brother in-laws was showing his father in law how to use his new climber and something went wrong. Fell on a 4-wheeler at the base of the tree and broke his back. No paralysis but still bothers him to this day.

2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 am

I'm only 33 but I've stopped climbing the last few years. I still will once or twice a year when it's the only option. I used to climb up without giving it much thought. Now that I have a family and responsibilities I guess my mind set has shifted.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby quigleysharps4570 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:18 am

Hope he has a speedy recovery.
quigleysharps4570
Boone&Crockett

Postby Double Gobble » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Prayers sent. I still climb that high. I won't sit in a stand unless I'm atleast 30' high but I always wear a harness when I'm climbing. My rope is 30' long and I climb untill it gets tight every time. It is safe as long as you have your harness on.
If you keep God first in your life everything else will fall into place.
Double Gobble
4 Point

Postby dublelung » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:00 am

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would climb without using a harness. Being uncomfortable, too bulky, too heavy, too hot, etc isn't that bad when you consider the alternative of being under 6 feet of dirt and your family being devastated.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby glenn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:29 am

dublelung wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would climb without using a harness. Being uncomfortable, too bulky, too heavy, too hot, etc isn't that bad when you consider the alternative of being under 6 feet of dirt and your family being devastated.

I know where you are coming from, but I do understand it. I felt like I was Superman and nothing could hurt me until I was 30. It took me laying in a hospital bed for 46 days fighting to stay alive for much of that time to realize that I don't have super human powers. Even so, I still had a hard time accepting it.

As a society we are taught, or at least used to be taught that to be a man you had to be tough, fearless and never show signs of weakness. Now some are teaching the total opposite and I don't think either one is totally right.

The truth is somewhere in there. I believe you need to be tough and strong, but also intelligent and use good sound reasoning. make decisions based on what is the best thing to do, not on what we believe our piers will think of us. 30 years ago you were almost laughed at for wearing a harness. That has changed and most people now have no issue with wearing one. However, all we can do is continue to try to educate new hunter's that a harness is simply a standard piece of hunting equipment that is required.

One of the rules I put in place on our club a few years ago is that any lock-on or climbing stand has to have a safety rope in place where you are safetied off from the time you leave the ground until you get back on the ground. Anyone caught not doing it will lose their right to continue hunting with us.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:59 am

Always wear a harness and lifeline if possible. Most falls are getting in and out of stands. The others can be a failure of equipment. Be sure you check your equipment. Falls can happen very easy so please be careful.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby bigsteve » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:31 am

I climb 99% of the time I use summit Goliath tree stand your equipment is also important quality is # 1 I have used summit stands for 30 plus years never had one to slip understand your equipment in the case of a stand slipping do not grab the tree this will allow the stand to release an go to the ground Al way use a tether rope connecting the stand and climber together many have fallen because of stand separation I never climb over 20' there is no need to be any higher pick a tree with back ground cover the most of the time I hunt around 15' harnesses are like the modern day stands technology has them Comfortable when you choose a harness make sure it comes it's a shock proof lanyard and attach it as high as you can reach above you limiting the distance you might fall if you are not comfortable with heights hunt on the ground I use a tree spider very light and easy to put on as I said know your equipment use only quality equipment never alter your approach I never hunt out of a stand that doesn't have a shooting rail the chain on models aren't very safe TV has made them very popular I quit using them 20 years ago if you still use them always use a climbing harness when installing or accessing them and while hunting them I have had falls on two occasions both were from a chain on stand thank god I wasn't injured on most of them the platform isn't large enough for a grown man I think a harness should be mandatory in Alabama they are on wmas safe hunting. All

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Archery