• Advertisement

ground blind

Lets Talk Archery..

ground blind

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:08 pm

i have one of those big pop up ground blinds that have like 6 zip up winders, i aint used it much at all...one of our best plots dont have a single tree big enough for a stand and i was thinkin of huntin from that blind.....has any of yall gotten deer close bow huntin from a blind?? i would like any suggestions about bow huntin from a blind because not only this plot...but a few of our other plots, we no longer have trees there either because we just had the property select cutted and i might have to bow hunt from a blind...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: ground blind

Postby Rube » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:53 pm

I am not sure how a ground blind will do either, but I plan on trying one this year as well. In the next few days for sure.....
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Postby Woodwalker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Took a doe last year from a blind, and had several more does and young bucks in bow range. If you can keep em from smelling you the blind hides movement real well. I put mine against a dark background a couple months before season opened and the deer acted like it wasn't even there. Good luck with it all.
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:36 am

i wouldn't hesitate to use one, if a tree is not available. Like woodwalker stated, just make sure you stay downwind.
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:18 am

i know a good shady dark spot i guess ill set it up there this weekend so once the plot starts growing it will already be in place...something i know u gotta do is make sure your arrow is above the opening when shoooting....
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Part Time Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:23 am

saddaddykiller wrote:something i know u gotta do is make sure your arrow is above the opening when shoooting....

If you use a fixed blade broadhead you can shoot through the screen.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:41 am

Part Time Hunter wrote:
saddaddykiller wrote:something i know u gotta do is make sure your arrow is above the opening when shoooting....

If you use a fixed blade broadhead you can shoot through the screen.

its not that kind of blind...its the plastic type material
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 am

saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Part Time Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

I have one just like that, you can shoot through the screen windows, I wouldn't want to try a long shot but anything inside 20 yards I would be comfortable with.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:56 am

Part Time Hunter wrote:I have one just like that, you can shoot through the screen windows, I wouldn't want to try a long shot but anything inside 20 yards I would be comfortable with.

oh i see.. your talking about the ones that have the mesh over the windows...on mine it just zips down and theres nothing else on the winders
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby mhn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm

I've used them alot, and from my experience with them deer are a little wary of them at first, put it up and give it a few days for them to get use to it. also break it up or blend it into some existing ground cover. Turkeys don't seem to mind at all, you can pop it up and hunt right then.
mhn
8 Point

Postby outdoorswoman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 pm

i was about to ask the same question SDK ... the land I usually bow hunt I have lost unbeknown to me until recently. Our club is all CRP and we don't have any trees large enough for a stand so I'm going to try a ground blind.

I went to sportsman's warehouse this past weekend to get one but the ones they had were the real double bull's and were over $200. I'm not spending that kind of money on some plastic.

Which one's do y'all recommend. Didn't I see a thread not long ago about one for $69 or $89? I might try and run to Grenada tomorrow and see what Lakeway has. I know the Grenada walmart had several outhouses and doghouses ... are either of those big enough?
outdoorswoman
10 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:48 pm

outdoorswoman wrote:i was about to ask the same question SDK ... the land I usually bow hunt I have lost unbeknown to me until recently. Our club is all CRP and we don't have any trees large enough for a stand so I'm going to try a ground blind.

I went to sportsman's warehouse this past weekend to get one but the ones they had were the real double bull's and were over $200. I'm not spending that kind of money on some plastic.

Which one's do y'all recommend. Didn't I see a thread not long ago about one for $69 or $89? I might try and run to Grenada tomorrow and see what Lakeway has. I know the Grenada walmart had several outhouses and doghouses ... are either of those big enough?

mine is a armistep i think and i forgot where i got it from and how much it was but it is actually too big i think...big enough for 3 people....ive only used it one time and ive had it for like 4 years lol...and now thinkin back i saw like 4 or 5 8 pointers that one time i used it but it didnt work out because i made the mistake of puttin it in pine tree land and blind is too dark in cover and all the deer got nervous once they got around 20 yards from me and walked off and fed a safe distance away...even tho i wasnot goin to take any of those bucks, after that happened i just aint hunted from it....but like someone else said...i gotta put it in a dark spot with lots of cover...i know my uncle has some blinds for turkey huntin on some of our food plots that he leaves year around, and they aint even hidden with brush and them deer will feed 1 foot from em....
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Rube » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 pm

I got two this year from Simmons Sporting Goods over in Bastrop, LA. On sale for $39 each. Got one setup last weekend...ready for Friday afternoon.......
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Postby outdoorswoman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:03 am

Rube wrote:I got two this year from Simmons Sporting Goods over in Bastrop, LA. On sale for $39 each. Got one setup last weekend...ready for Friday afternoon.......

why can't i find deals like that :(
outdoorswoman
10 Point

Postby Rube » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:08 am

I do not know how I started getting their catalogs, but they have one for their annual sale every summer. They have some tremendous deals on hunting stuff and sometimes it is worth the drive or sometimes you get lucky like I did this year and have a friend that goes over to that area once a month. They are on the web as http://www.simmonssportinggoods.com/
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Postby junker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am

i dropped a doe from a blind last season at 28 yds with my longbow.

I hunt on a soybean farm and there arent many trees...so i invested in a blind. I always took the blind in with me and when i was done...i took it out with me.

I missed a monster the last day of the season from the blind. there was snow on the ground the blind stuck out like a sore thumb; but the deer still gave me a shot
Lost Nation Archery: Supplying fathers of triplets since 4/3/2009. Thanks Larry and Janice
http://www.lostnationarchery.com/
junker
Spike

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

wow you posted to a old topic lol..just kiding
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby junker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:50 am

yeah, i noticed that after the fact. well, maybe he still needs opinions
Lost Nation Archery: Supplying fathers of triplets since 4/3/2009. Thanks Larry and Janice
http://www.lostnationarchery.com/
junker
Spike

Postby saddaddykiller » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:17 pm

junker wrote:yeah, i noticed that after the fact. well, maybe he still needs opinions

yeah i do thanks..i may try the blind next season..its just my problem is they always hear or see me drawing back and then flee the country
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Archery