• Advertisement

I appreciate good service.....

Lets Talk Archery..

I appreciate good service.....

Postby Rube » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:09 pm

I am bowhunting again this year after a few years off and I am still shooting an older bow. Went a few days before the season started because I felt like I needed a new string on my bow (and I did). Had a new string put on along with a string loop. I also had the overdraw replaced with a new whisker biscuit. Felt really good with the new setup on the old bow and went about my way. However, the more I shot, the more it seemed like there was a problem with the arrow grouping. It really seemed like the back end of the arrow was wobbling and I could never get a real consistent group past 20 yds (not just my bad shooting, either.) Took my bow to a local hunting and fishing store since the one I orginally went to was not open on Saturday. Asked the guy in the archery dept to look at it to make sure that there was not anything obviously wrong with as I am not the most knowledgeable about bows to begin with. He took a glance at it, asked where I got the string put on at and as I told him, he handed me my bow back and said it looked good to him. He did set me up with some new carbon arrows since I thought maybe the old aluminum arrows I was shooting were the problem. Well, it was still shooting the same way after that. Today, after one of my buddies told me to go to Big Buck and have the guy behind the archery counter look at it after he tired of my complaining about it, I did. For the life of me, I can not remember the guy's name behind the counter, but he impressed me very much. He took my bow, listened to what I said when I talked about the wobble and discovered that my string loop was a tad too high and the whisker biscuit was a shade too much in one direction. He moved the string loop down and adjusted the biscuit and then helped me paper tune it til I was satisfied with the way it shot. He then proceeded to charge me exactly nothing for the help that he gave. It may have been a small service for him, but to me (still a novice), it was great and much appreciated and I do believe they have gained my business for the future. I have full faith that the place where I got my string put on originally would have been able to correct the problem had they had been open on Saturday and had I gone back to them, but Big Buck is just closer to work and easier to get to.
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Re: I appreciate good service.....

Postby BIGERN76 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm

It's nice when someone at least acts like they care about the customer. That is rare these days. Glad you had a good experience. I have been fortunate to be in good company when it comes to having experienced people help me out with my huntin gear that is new to me. (bow, muzzleloader) And I always try to pass on what little bit of knowledge I have to others, free of charge..

:P
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:31 am

I would definitely contact the owner of the store, and let them know about your good service !
gtk
Admin

Postby Part Time Hunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:29 am

Thats the kind of stuff that makes people come back.
help preserve our national blast time.
Part Time Hunter
Non-Typical

Postby Southernbowhunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

That's awesome service for sure.
Get'em close and double-lung'em!!!
Support your troops!!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
--George Orwell--
Southernbowhunter
10 Point

Location: Paktiya province Afghanistan currently. Stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska

Postby RT8 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm

gtk wrote:I would definitely contact the owner of the store, and let them know about your good service !

x a million. That's certainly not "standard conduct" anymore, and the guy's effort should be brought to his employer's attention.
Priapism, its not for quitters.
RT8
8 Point

Postby Rube » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm

I plan to do just exactly that. Customer service is almost a forgotten art these days and in my opinion, good customer service is certainly worth paying more for. Where I work, I charge more than my competition in most instances, but I feel no shame in doing so because I believe I provide better service than the others.

By the way...the bow is still shooting sweetly. :D
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Postby mhn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 am

I worked in an archery shop for years and that's the same kind of service we use to give folks, but since I've been to many shops and retail stores and the experience isn't the same. You still have to maintain your bow and keep it serviced and tuned. I'm not getting on to you, but take the time to learn the basics and stick with the guy you've found now that he seems to know what he's doing. There are too many "experts" (in their own mind) out there that are just selling the latest and greatest. I've been messing with archery of all types for years and still learn something new all the time. If you have any questions post them, if I cann't help you I know several people who can. The most important thing is stick with it.
mhn
8 Point

Postby mt » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:20 am

I had a bad service experience this year. Took my Mathews bow to the Shelby Forrest Archery 6 weeks before the season with a cracked limb. Dropped it off on a Saturday. Was told it would take three days to get the limbs in. So figuring from the following Monday the limbs should have been there on Thursday. Well after calling weekly for exactly one month the limbs still were not there. "Mathews is having trouble getting limbs out". I called Mathews and asked if they were having problems. "No, when an order is called in the limbs are shipped the next day". Gave the guy my name and he checked my order. My limbs were not ordered until the Friday before I called them. Picked my bow up on that Saturday politely told them thank you and will never deal again with someone who will lie to his customers.
mt
10 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 am

mt wrote:I had a bad service experience this year. Took my Mathews bow to the Shelby Forrest Archery 6 weeks before the season with a cracked limb. Dropped it off on a Saturday. Was told it would take three days to get the limbs in. So figuring from the following Monday the limbs should have been there on Thursday. Well after calling weekly for exactly one month the limbs still were not there. "Mathews is having trouble getting limbs out". I called Mathews and asked if they were having problems. "No, when an order is called in the limbs are shipped the next day". Gave the guy my name and he checked my order. My limbs were not ordered until the Friday before I called them. Picked my bow up on that Saturday politely told them thank you and will never deal again with someone who will lie to his customers.

I had that problem with Full Draw Archery in Booneville, MS. I will never go back there.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby chadbragg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 pm

"I had that problem with Full Draw Archery in Booneville, MS. I will never go back there."

I hear you, I was looking to buy a new bow so I stopped in there one afternoon. The guys acted like they never knew I was there. I picked up the "FEW"(6) bows they had in stock, stood at the counter, & looked at their other stuff. Now I've been there a lot and have spent a lot of money there, when they were in their old building. I'll never walk through their door again!
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:01 am

chadbragg wrote:"I had that problem with Full Draw Archery in Booneville, MS. I will never go back there."

I hear you, I was looking to buy a new bow so I stopped in there one afternoon. The guys acted like they never knew I was there. I picked up the "FEW"(6) bows they had in stock, stood at the counter, & looked at their other stuff. Now I've been there a lot and have spent a lot of money there, when they were in their old building. I'll never walk through their door again!

The last straw was when I wanted my bow string replaced. I left it with them and they said they'd call when they were done with it. I waited a month before and never heard a word from them so I called them, they said the string hadn't come in yet. I waited two more weeks, same answer, so this time I called Winner's Choice to see if it had been ordered. Not only had it not been ordered but they hadn't received an order from them in over 2 months. :x :x :x

I went that weekend and got my bow and told them that they'll never see me nor anyone I know in there... EVER. Of course the language I used was quite different... can't put that on here or GTK might just ban me. :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby rjenkins1981 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:01 pm

I HAVE A BUDDY THAT WORKS IN BOONEVEGAS AND HE HATES FULL DRAW. CHARGED HIM AN ARE AND A LEG JUST TO REPLACE A STRING. HE WAS NOT HAPPY.

I PERSONALLY DONT THINK THERE ARE ANY PLACES AROUND TUPELO/ABERDEEN THAT HAVE A DECENT BOW SHOP. THERE IS A PLACE IN PONTOTOC THAT ARE OK IF YOU DONT MIND BEING THAT STRANGER THAT COMES INTO A LOCAL SHOP. I DID NOT HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE THERE.
rjenkins1981
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:29 pm

rjenkins1981 wrote:I HAVE A BUDDY THAT WORKS IN BOONEVEGAS AND HE HATES FULL DRAW. CHARGED HIM AN ARE AND A LEG JUST TO REPLACE A STRING. HE WAS NOT HAPPY.

I PERSONALLY DONT THINK THERE ARE ANY PLACES AROUND TUPELO/ABERDEEN THAT HAVE A DECENT BOW SHOP. THERE IS A PLACE IN PONTOTOC THAT ARE OK IF YOU DONT MIND BEING THAT STRANGER THAT COMES INTO A LOCAL SHOP. I DID NOT HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE THERE.

Mossy Oak has some decent folks working there. I've had ONE problem there, they installed a bow string incorrectly. I didn't notice and shot it several times and ruined the string. Took it back, with my receipt, and showed it to the guy at the counter, they replaced it free of charge and even threw in new SIMS string leeches. It was a custom bow string that had to be re-ordered. :ylsuper:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby rjenkins1981 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:31 pm

YEAH I FORGOT ABOUT MOSSY OAK. THANKS. THEY ARE A PSE DEALER TOO!
rjenkins1981
6 Point

Postby BIGERN76 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:46 pm

I took my bow to mossy oak about a month before season opened to get the string replaced and get my arrows fletched and buy some broadheads. I was very happy with the service. The young guy behind the counter looked at my bow and said your string is perfect you don't need a new one yet. :shock: You don't have to replace it until it starts showing sign of wear. (Now I was told every 2 years no matter what.) Anyhow, then he fletched my arrows, put in one insert and sold me a pack of broadheads (thunderhead). Point is, he could have taken me for the string, arrows, and some of those high dollar broadheads. I have only owned a bow for about 3 months so I still don't know much. I felt like they put my actual needs above making a HUGE profit for the store. That day cost me $6 for the arrows and $40 for the broadheads. Then I had problems with 2 of my inserts (had glue in'em) and took them to a local bow shop in Columbus, $8 to get them replaced. :shock: Never again! I will make the 30 min. drive to mossy oak...
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Return to Archery