• Advertisement

Setup questions...

Lets Talk Archery..

Setup questions...

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 am

Without having a paper tuning setup, how can you tell if your rest is too low?

A few weeks back I did some trading and ended up with a 2007 Elite Archery Synergy bow. I finally got around to ordering the accessories that I needed to complete the setup and did some shooting yesterday. I got it setup, to the best of my untrained ability, and I think I have a slight problem.

I setup a target at 10 yards, just to get the site adjusted, and the first shot landed about 4 feet short of the target. :oops: Did some adjusting and shot again... 2 feet short. Finally I had to move the sight all the way down, as far as it would go, and move the pins all of the way down to get the dang thing to hit the dot I was aiming at. :bash: Would that mean that my rest is too low???

This sucker shoots so freaking fast you can't see what the arrow is doing in flight. If I could tell what it was doing, fish tailing or porpoising, I could figure out what I need to do. :lol:

I'm probably going to have to take this thing to a bow shop, I've never dealt with a dual cam bow. :bash:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Re: Setup questions...

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:46 am

Probably the rest too low or the nocking point too high
Just my untrained guess, good luck with the tune-up :2TU:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:11 pm

you need some hands-on help to learn the best. could be a number of issues, but your knoc and rest need to be level when drawn back first. your peep will align with sights.
good rule is to have knoc aligned with corner of mouth when at full draw.
adjust peep where your head is straight up looking through peep and set one pin in middle of sight bracket, then adjust sight from there shooting close at a big target. once you are aligned, readjust with short pin on close to top of sight bracket then place others down for farther distances. pratice.
pro-help will be best though from start-up.
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby BigRic » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm

check and make sure the arrow when nocked on the string and sitting on the rest is level with the riser with out pulling the bow back. you can tell if it ain't level. you can buy a bow square at any sporting goods store...
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:24 am

Thanks for the tips. I went to a few archery forums and got a few more suggestions. Apparently my rest was way too low, like a 1/4" to 1/2" low. I need to shorten the draw length as well, it's about an inch too long... resulted in a nice little string burn that's already gone. :oops: I had almost forgotten how much that stung.

I just thought this bow was fast when I first posted, now it seems even faster and holy crap is it quiet for such a fast shooting bow. The only thing I heard yesterday, after what little tuning I did, was an almost inaudible twang from the string followed immediately by the pop of the arrow going 3/4 of the arrow deep into the target.

I'm going to have to find a better target to shoot at, something easier to get the arrows out of. :bash:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Return to Archery