• Advertisement

What Do You Think?

Lets Talk Archery..

What Do You Think?

Postby FireCloud » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:26 pm

On October 13, last bow season, I shot my first mechanical broadhead as an experiment. I watched the arrow hit the deer just behind her left shoulder and it penetrated only a short distance. She whirled around with the arrow protruding and it fell out after about three steps. When I retrieved the arrow, only about five inches of blood and hair was on the shaft and not much of either. I concluded the arrow must have struck a rib bone which absorbed most of the energy and kept the arrow from penetrating very much. It was a high lung shot with minimal penetration. I found no blood trail at all, could not track the deer, and never recovered her.

This morning my game camera captured a photo of a doe that I think may be the deer I shot. Here is the photo. I have never personally seen a healed arrow wound on a deer before, so I don't know if the spot I am seeing on this doe is an arrow wound or something else. The spot on this deer is in the exact place where I watched my arrow hit. What do you think? If it is not an arrow wound, what else might it be?
Last edited by FireCloud on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: What Do You Think?

Postby LazyGhost » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Looks like that might be that ole gal. Also looks like you made a good shot on her, just rotten luck.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

I would have rather it been about two inches further back and down but given that I was shooting down on her from my tree stand, had it not hit bone, it would have exited lower on the other side and been a decent, double lung killing shot (I think.)

When you shoot finger shoot intinctively using a traditional one piece recurve, I consider anything within a 6 inch circle of dead center to be a decent shot.

Guess I probably made her bow shy for sure! LOL.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm

LazyGhost wrote:Looks like that might be that ole gal. Also looks like you made a good shot on her, just rotten luck.

I completely agree.. Looks like a great shot especially coming from a tree stand angling downward.
gtk
Admin

Postby LazyGhost » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

GTK, I was looking at the deer biology page yesterday and learned I have been aiming a little further back and higher than I should. I just hate hitting one in the shoulder.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Hitting bone is not a good thing for sure.

I think the point of the arrow probably did not strike the shoulder, but when the mechanical blades opened, one or more of the blades might have hit the shoulder bone. The deer was not perfectly sideways to me but had a little angle to her stance with her body slightly turned with head closer to me. That would have put the shoulder slightly closer to me. When I blow up the photo, to me it looks like the shoulder might have been scraped or cut by the blades. No matter what, there is way too much bone in that region for it to be easy for an arrow to find a clear path.

Honestly, given that there is only about an inch maybe of space between each of a deer's ribs, I really don't see how a mechanical head's thin blades ever make it through the rib cage. But of course they do a lot of the time.

I am puzzled as to why the hair has not grown back over this spot by now. Any ideas?

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby BIGERN76 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 pm

FireCloud wrote:I am puzzled as to why the hair has not grown back over this spot by now. Any ideas?

Your mechanical likley made a good sized entrance wound. With that big of a scar it is a good possibility that she will have that bald spot for a while. Sometimes it takes hair a while to grow back through scar tissue. 8)
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby Dick Cox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Must have been a Rage! :shock:
Dick Cox
button buck

Postby FireCloud » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Actually, it was a Grim Reaper head. I can say they do a great deal of damage when they connect. But the mechanicals don't seem to do as well against bone as a fixed blade.

Concerning Rage heads, I got a set of them once and accidentally left one on an arrow leaning against the old stump in front of my tree stand where I had been target practicing. I remembered I had left it and returned the next morning to get it. There were a half dozen dead deer scattered all around. They had all seen that Rage head and just fell over dead from the fear of it, I guess! I was fined for killing more deer than the limit and of course it ended my season right then. After that, I just decided I would use some other broadheads that were not so powerful!! :stir:

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

You shot her in her RIGHT shoulder?? the pic is of the LEFT shoulder... Am I wrong about something?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

You are absolutely correct, and my original post had the wording wrong. I was looking at the deer facing me, so her shoulder was to my right, which in my haste is why I wrote it was the right shoulder. Of course, it was always her left shoulder and I was simply wrong. Guess I need to get a pair of gloves that have "right hand" and "left hand" printed on them! :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 am

Sure looks like a old arrow wound to me. Probably lacking enough kinetic energy from the recurve to consistently get pass throughs. Looks like shes managing well though, maybe you'll get another shot at her this season.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby 204 ruger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:08 pm

FireCloud wrote:
Concerning Rage heads, I got a set of them once and accidentally left one on an arrow leaning against the old stump in front of my tree stand where I had been target practicing. I remembered I had left it and returned the next morning to get it. There were a half dozen dead deer scattered all around. They had all seen that Rage head and just fell over dead from the fear of it, I guess! I was fined for killing more deer than the limit and of course it ended my season right then. After that, I just decided I would use some other broadheads that were not so powerful!! :stir:

That's why I love 'em!! Just don't shoot unless there are 3 legal bucks and 5 does around, then they all fall dead and season is complete. Gotta love that
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 am

dublelung wrote:Sure looks like a old arrow wound to me. Probably lacking enough kinetic energy from the recurve to consistently get pass throughs. Looks like shes managing well though, maybe you'll get another shot at her this season.

She's a stocky, short doe named Daisy Mae that I am pretty sure will be a 3.5 year old this year as she had a young buck fawn (named Jack) last year in summer 2009 and probably did not breed during the her first of year of 2007. From more recent photos, she is ready to deliver another fawn or two fairly soon.

If she gives me more buck fawns, I will consider taking her off my harvesting list. She is one I have on the list to shoot, especially if she only gives me does this year. She probably is a good breeder but the buck fawn she produced last year was a stocky, smaller deer like her and I don't really want a lot of those running around on my land. She is the oldest doe I have on my game camera photos that regularly stays on my land, so that makes her a target.

I harvest deer for food, so a fat doe like her that is already 3.5 years old is a target. But my number one target on the list for this year is an old, swayback 3 point buck that really needs to go! He is way past his prime and is not helping the herd stock any by still breeding the does. I saw one younger four point here last year that should be a legal buck this year and two other nicer bucks that I also hope to get within arrow range.

As for penetration, the recurve I shoot gives me ample penetration if it does not hit bone. The shot I made on Daisy Mae was just a little too high and forward, apparently hitting either the shoulder blade or possible rib bone. I saw the arrow hit and recoil back out as she turned to run so I am pretty sure the movement of her shoulder ejected the arrow.

I got a complete pass through on another doe shot about two weeks later, a good blood trail, and a dead deer 65 yards downrange. I'm shooing about 375 grains of arrow mass out of a 50# pull and that is plenty enough at the ranges I am shooting to get good arrow penetration. It's all in shot placement, and I just did not make the shot I wanted to make on Daisy. But if she is not too arrow shy now, I might get her this year.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Archery