• Advertisement

ARROW LENGHT QUESTION

Lets Talk Archery..

ARROW LENGHT QUESTION

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:03 pm

how far past a arrow rest are the arrows supposed to be? if the arrows are too long they can cause accuracy issues right?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: ARROW LENGHT QUESTION

Postby 204 ruger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm

I cut mine 1" pass the rest and have never had any issues.
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby BigRic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

like 204 said.. 1" past the riser and no it won't cause accuracy issues if your bow is tuned......
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:43 pm

ok , my problem is, when i pull full draw, the end of broad heads/field points dont extend past the riser, i also wanted to make sure that was ok..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby reesguide » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:ok , my problem is, when i pull full draw, the end of broad heads/field points dont extend past the riser, i also wanted to make sure that was ok..

Sad, I am old school, but when we shot overdraws this was never a prob can't see it as one now.
That's how I intend to set Ree's up.
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby BigRic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 pm

I have a hoyt spectra lite hunter, it has a narrow riser so my broadhead has to stick out past the riser other wise it will hit the riser at full draw...
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:20 pm

ok thanks yall
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

There is no great benefit to shooting an arrow significantly longer (2" inches or more) than you need to as it makes for a little heavier arrow weight in grams and a little slower arrow speed. As others have stated, the ordinary length is typically your draw length plus 1 inch. If you have a 28" draw, then cut your arrows 29" and mount the broadhead. This keeps the broadhead on the outside of your riser.

The riser design of some bows, including those with overdraw rests, will allow you to shoot a shorter arrow shaft. There is a benefit to shooting a shorter shaft, as the shaft is lighter in total gram weight and the speed of the arrow will be faster, thus producing a flatter trajectory, among other things.

Again, if your draw is 28", you might be able to shoot a 27" or 26" shaft if your bow design does not interfere or if you have an overdraw rest installed. Some archers purposefully shoot a shorter shaft to achieve the fastest arrow speed and the flattest trajectory.

But there is a SAFETY ISSUE when shooing a shorter shaft that you need to be aware of. When the point of the arrow is drawn back past the front of the riser, it may also be behind your hand that is gripping the bow. If for any reason, you rotate the string upon release, or the arrow flips off the rest, or some other unanticipated situation develops, it is very possible for the point of the arrow to stab into your hand or wrist. Firing a broadhead or even a field point through your hand or arm is NOT something you ever intend to do but when you have the point pulled back past the riser and past the hand holding the bow, there is no guarantee that an accident of that type will not happen.

For that reason, it is best to cut your arrows longer than your draw length as you then simply cannot draw the point of the arrow back far enough to be located behind your grip. If the arrows you are shooting are too short, I would suggest you try a longer shaft. I doubt you will notice any real difference in the arrow flight but you will be shooting in a much safer manner.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 pm

FireCloud wrote:There is no great benefit to shooting an arrow significantly longer (2" inches or more) than you need to as it makes for a little heavier arrow weight in grams and a little slower arrow speed. As others have stated, the ordinary length is typically your draw length plus 1 inch. If you have a 28" draw, then cut your arrows 29" and mount the broadhead. This keeps the broadhead on the outside of your riser.

The riser design of some bows, including those with overdraw rests, will allow you to shoot a shorter arrow shaft. There is a benefit to shooting a shorter shaft, as the shaft is lighter in total gram weight and the speed of the arrow will be faster, thus producing a flatter trajectory, among other things.

Again, if your draw is 28", you might be able to shoot a 27" or 26" shaft if your bow design does not interfere or if you have an overdraw rest installed. Some archers purposefully shoot a shorter shaft to achieve the fastest arrow speed and the flattest trajectory.

But there is a SAFETY ISSUE when shooing a shorter shaft that you need to be aware of. When the point of the arrow is drawn back past the front of the riser, it may also be behind your hand that is gripping the bow. If for any reason, you rotate the string upon release, or the arrow flips off the rest, or some other unanticipated situation develops, it is very possible for the point of the arrow to stab into your hand or wrist. Firing a broadhead or even a field point through your hand or arm is NOT something you ever intend to do but when you have the point pulled back past the riser and past the hand holding the bow, there is no guarantee that an accident of that type will not happen.

For that reason, it is best to cut your arrows longer than your draw length as you then simply cannot draw the point of the arrow back far enough to be located behind your grip. If the arrows you are shooting are too short, I would suggest you try a longer shaft. I doubt you will notice any real difference in the arrow flight but you will be shooting in a much safer manner.

exactly, yeah i was a little worried about that...im gonna look again and make sure that at full draw the points are not behind my hand......before every single shot, i look down and make sure arrow is sitting on the rest etc...i think all archers need to be taught to do that for safety reasons
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Saddaddy, I am posting a link to texasarchery.org which shows a real example of what can happen if you use a too short arrow and it falls off the rest just as it is being fired. It contains very graphic images about mid way down the page of an arrow shot through the archers hand, so I am just putting the link here rather than posting the actual photos. Hope it never happens to any of us, but there is a real danger involved if your arrow shafts are too short and you can pull them past the riser in your bow.

http://www.texasarchery.org/images/Overdraw/dangers.htm
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 pm

firecloud that is very scary stuff...im gonna be sure to check all this out and be safe...gonna have to do it next time i go to the deer camp because my bow is up there...anyways i have another question...i shoot a very fast matthews tournament bow at 70 pounds,, if you use the wrong kind of arrows can a arrow explode when releasing? i know that sounds crazy, just something i wonder
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby ol bumpy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:40 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:firecloud that is very scary stuff...im gonna be sure to check all this out and be safe...gonna have to do it next time i go to the deer camp because my bow is up there...anyways i have another question...i shoot a very fast matthews tournament bow at 70 pounds,, if you use the wrong kind of arrows can a arrow explode when releasing? i know that sounds crazy, just something i wonder

You'd have to get down to less than 5 gpi to really worry about a catastrophic failure from a structurally sound arrow. Even then, it's not likely to happen if the arrow is in good shape, but still, it would be tempting fate....But, if any carbon arrow is damaged or has a flaw in it, it could blow up upon release. It's best to give them a flex before shooting them. If it's damaged, you'll be able to tell when you flex it. If there's any doubt, get rid of it. Arrows are cheap compared to major surgery to rebuild your arm and hand.

Prime Centroid 60#, Rocket Wolverines
Monster 6.7 60#, Rocket Wolverines
Mathews Icon 60#, Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts
Cat Quiver III, Carter Rx2
ol bumpy
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby 204 ruger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 pm

When there was a bow shop in the Weekend Angler in H.L., saw a guy lose an ear when his 80# limb broke and took it plum off!!!
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:52 pm

ok thanks guys for the info...and 204, that story makes me wanna wear a helmet when shooting a high poundage bow.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Rajun cajun » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 am

I agree that there can be serious consequences if your broad head sits behind your and. I shoot a 29" draw but my arrows are 26.5"

I am as to do this because I shoot with a drop tone whisker biscuit which acts as an overdraw but will not allow arrow to fall off rest.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Archery