• Advertisement

Fletching Advice Needed

Lets Talk Archery..

Fletching Advice Needed

Postby FireCloud » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I am wanting to fletch my own arrows and would like advice on what fletching jigs, glues, etc. to use. I prefer a 5 degree right helical twist with 5 inch turkey feather fletching. I will never be fletching more than a few arrows at a time, so I thing a one feather rig would work ok. Anybody have a preference for a particularly good jig?

Since I have never tried doing my own fletching before, any tips and hints would be greatly appreciated. My idea is to hand cut my own feathers from turkeys I have killed and if any of you have done this, please let me know how it worked out for you.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Fletching Advice Needed

Postby ol bumpy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 am

Get a Bitzenburger jig and a right helical clamp. You'll be able to get any degree fletching you want, and you can 3 or 4 fletch. It's built like a tank, so your grandkids grandkids could be using one day.....I've had mine 27 years, fletched literally thousands of arrows with it, and it still looks like it came out of the box this morning.

As for glue, stay away from the CA glues for fletching. Very inconsistent fletch....Use a slow set (15+ minute) glue. Tons more reliable. I use the old Bohning Fletch-Lac glue, and buy it by the pint ($22). Fletching several hundred arrows a year, a pint will last me 3-4 years.

This is just my advice. Someone else may have a better idea....But this has worked for me without fail for nearly three decades.

Prime Centroid 60#, Rocket Wolverines
Monster 6.7 60#, Rocket Wolverines
Mathews Icon 60#, Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts
Cat Quiver III, Carter Rx2
ol bumpy
Gone but not Forgotten

Return to Archery