• Advertisement

Public Land Turkeys

Talk Turkey

Public Land Turkeys

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:24 am

worth the hunting ?

I may actually try turkey hunting again this year, and will be limited to the public lands in north ms .. i killed my first turkey on malmasion while at delta state, but that was during the week with little pressure on them..
gtk
Admin

Re: Public Land Turkeys

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:43 am

gtk wrote:worth the hunting ?

I may actually try turkey hunting again this year, and will be limited to the public lands in north ms .. i killed my first turkey on malmasion while at delta state, but that was during the week with little pressure on them..

A few of my friends hunt the Holly Springs NF and have had some luck... errr they used to have luck. Haven't talked to them in a few years now, the turkey may have dried up there. :lol: :lol:

I may make the trip to Malmaison this spring and make my cousin set me up on a big one. :twisted: :twisted:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:47 am

Dont do like I did last time I went to malmasion.. Me and a friend of mine got up early & left the house a couple hours before daylight.. Drove all the way from Olive Branch to Malmasion. We were pumped! Not another vehicle anywhere... Went to get hte cards at the check-in station, only to find out that turkey season didnt open there for another couple of weeks :roll:
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:13 am

gtk wrote:Dont do like I did last time I went to malmasion.. Me and a friend of mine got up early & left the house a couple hours before daylight.. Drove all the way from Olive Branch to Malmasion. We were pumped! Not another vehicle anywhere... Went to get hte cards at the check-in station, only to find out that turkey season didnt open there for another couple of weeks :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can manage that part. I wouldn't go over there without informing my cousin and asking when he can take me hunting over there.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:32 am

I do a lot of turkey hunting on Chickasaw WMA and during the week there's almost no one around. Its worth a try if there's much hunting pressure try to find a location you have to walk a long way into most hunters will not walk more than 300 yds off a road :D
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby razrback » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Public Land is all I got. Plenty of birds, but a lot of hunters and the bird get call shy real fast.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby a10acfan1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:08 am

Gator....What part of Holly Springs NF do you hunt? I hunt down between Coffeeville and Grenada for deer and close to Chewalla Lake for turkeys.
a10acfan1
4 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:32 pm

a10acfan1 wrote:Gator....What part of Holly Springs NF do you hunt? I hunt down between Coffeeville and Grenada for deer and close to Chewalla Lake for turkeys.

Not me, I've never hunted there. My brother in law from Arkabutla hunts there and some of my friends from Strayhorn go there every now and then. I think the guys from Strayhorn are in a club somewhere close to Ashland and they just go through there, stop and hunt a little, on the way to and from their club.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby bwm » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:50 pm

GTK, if you were nice to me, I would take you down to the camp and let you call one up for me....
bwm
Admin

Postby Jimmyg » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

I hunted Upper Sardis WMA several years ago. It was my first experience hunting turkey, heard a lot of birds gobbling down there, had a few gobble at my calls. I had a chance to kill one bird down there but never pulled the trigger.

As a newbie at the time I had a big gobbler strutting in a road with four hens. He was putting on one heck of a show for them. He was well within gun range, but so were the hens. They were in a tight circle as he was putting on his show, I was afraid of killing a hen along with the gobbler so I never pulled the trigger. When I think back on that day I still get frustrated.
Don't be stupid you idiot!
Jimmyg
6 Point

Postby razrback » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:30 pm

Well I have now decided that turkey huntin on public land is the devil. I had a bird gobblin like crazy, one problem though he was in a closed section of the refuge roostin. Soooooo... I sat on the line. Well I am trying to coax him my way when all of a sudden. KaaaaaBoooom! Someone else was in the NO HUNTING ZONE AND KILLED MY DAG BLAMED BIRD!! :x :x :x :x :x :x I thought about reporting them to the Warden but without catching them in the act probably wouldn't be much they could do. So I hate public land hunting, but it is all I got.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby lugnut » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:24 am

come down here and hunt with me razorback. here in florida i've heard turkeys gobble ever morning i've gone.

i had a similar situation as you on saturday. i got setup on a turkey before he flew down but he flew down across a creek where the hens were. i fooled around with him until 8:30 and he was gobbling his head off. next thing i know someone shot him. i guess he gobbled to much and someone else heard him. :(
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:49 pm

:D :D My 7 year old grandsons Turkey on public land 8) 8)
Chickasaw WMA
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby Jimmyg » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:26 am

Good looking bird and and a happy hunter. Congrats to him...........
Don't be stupid you idiot!
Jimmyg
6 Point

Postby gen bullard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:08 pm

jerry little said he's 8
gen bullard
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:33 pm

:D I say he's 7 so 7 it is. He'll be 8 in 2008 :?
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby gtk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:32 pm

jbullard1 wrote::D I say he's 7 so 7 it is. He'll be 8 in 2008 :?

tell'm jbullard!! they will realize, that the older they get, the smarter you seem to get :) At least , thats what my grandfather always said...
gtk
Admin

Postby razrback » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:59 pm

lugnut wrote:come down here and hunt with me razorback. here in florida i've heard turkeys gobble ever morning i've gone.

i had a similar situation as you on saturday. i got setup on a turkey before he flew down but he flew down across a creek where the hens were. i fooled around with him until 8:30 and he was gobbling his head off. next thing i know someone shot him. i guess he gobbled to much and someone else heard him. :(

Shoot I wish I could, school has got me so busy I can barely get down the road to round up a bird.
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby lugnut » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm

back when i was in school, turkey season was just a long way of saying hooky :lol:

probably why i don't have a college degree :lol:
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby razrback » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:29 am

Yeah grammar school that might have been the case, but when you're paying (especially as much as I am paying) to go to school then it is a whole different perspective.
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby Tom Talker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:39 pm

gtk,

while trying to find my way into a northern part of HS national forest up by Ashland, I found a gate posted with a NWTF sign stating it was a release area when they repopulated there. My buddy lives up there and I've seen more than enough in the sod fields up there to warrant a look. You have to cross private land to get into this area or go through Spring Lake? community and enter it on the south end. But as mentioned before by razrback, it gets a ton of pressure there.
Dress'em where you shoot'em!
Tom Talker
Spike

Postby merrillcd_mem » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am

Any turkeys in our neck of the woods in ob? I had one run across the road on 305 about 2 years ago. Haven't seen one since.
merrillcd_mem
Boone&Crockett

Postby Tom Talker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:03 pm

merrillcd_mem wrote:Any turkeys in our neck of the woods in ob? I had one run across the road on 305 about 2 years ago. Haven't seen one since.

I'm not sure what that neighborhood is on 302 just east of Hacks Cross, but I see them in the fields to the right just to the west of the neighborhood all the time.
Tom Talker
Spike

Postby gtk » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:51 pm

That is Brayborne (where jimmyG lives), which is owned by Jack White.. Definitely off limits :) .. I see deer there all the time, and turkey every once in a while.
gtk
Admin

Postby Tom Talker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 pm

gtk wrote:That is Brayborne (where jimmyG lives), which is owned by Jack White.. Definitely off limits :) .. I see deer there all the time, and turkey every once in a while.

Yeah, I know Jack. He was my boys football coach last year. One of my hunting buddys' house backs up to his property. I noticed he had some fresh "Posted" signs out there this year.
Tom Talker
Spike

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum