• Advertisement

MUTE turkeys

Talk Turkey

MUTE turkeys

Postby Rajun cajun » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 pm

The lease I am presently on has numerous flocks of turkeys. Two flocks roost in the hardwood bottome where my frien and I have our permamnent stands.

I saw tureys all year, never heard one gobble on the roost nor could I shock him into gobbling.

lease mamanger says they kill a few birds every year but in 10 years have never heard one gobble oNE TIME!

That is weird but believe him!

Gonna try and work on them in a month or so!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:57 am

maybe the gobblers feel that they have all they want so no need to attract attention? Never heard of a place where they didn't gobble at least a little. Good Luck on that plot this year!
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby PAINTMAN » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:28 am

I haven't heard of that either most birds will at least gobble right before fly down!
PAINTMAN
4 Point

Re: MUTE turkeys

Postby gtk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:33 am

Rajun cajun wrote:lease mamanger says they kill a few birds every year but in 10 years have never heard one gobble oNE TIME!

Makes you wonder if he's out there when they are gobbling. I know it sounds wierd, but if your not listening for them, you probably won't hear them :)
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:57 am

gtk wrote:
Rajun cajun wrote:lease mamanger says they kill a few birds every year but in 10 years have never heard one gobble oNE TIME!

Makes you wonder if he's out there when they are gobbling. I know it sounds wierd, but if your not listening for them, you probably won't hear them :)

Yup. I used to never hear a turkey gobble, until I started hunting them. :lol: :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby lugnut » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:22 pm

you could be loosing a lot of those turkeys to neighboring properties during the spring. turkeys tend to range differently during the winter than they do in the spring.

if there's a massive amounts of predators like coyotes or bobcats there; it may shut those gobblers up too. just a thought
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby Rajun cajun » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 pm

The manager hunt them and kill one or two every year.

It is not just our lease, it is like that for a 15 mile radius.

Yeah and thery have a lot of coyotes and some bobcats.

They average about 5-8 turkeys killed each year on this place. And there is only 5 turkey hunters.

I hear hens all the time.

May be the hen population is just so heavy they dont have to gobble.

Weird anyway..........
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby mhn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:06 pm

That's a new one on me, I've had them gobble durring deer season, even in IL this past Nov.
mhn
8 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm

well I got out of that place last year. Did hear one gobble adn that was it.saw numerous gobblers run across the 4 wheeler trail.

Got in a lease in MS last summer. We are loaded with birds and have heard them gobble all deer season.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby mhn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Man that's great. I'm losing some prime hunting, I wrote you about me relocating.
mhn
8 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 am

Yeah well I replied........depending on how soon you are moving, if you need a lease, I can get you in ours in Woodville MS.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum