• Advertisement

what's your favorite call

Talk Turkey

what's your favorite call

Postby lugnut » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:37 pm

i like the woodhaven mouth calls. the stinger V with 3 reeds. this call has lasted me 3 years. it's very durable.

i've used lynch box calls for as long as i can remember.

i've got a ton of primos slate calls that are probably my favorite go to calls though.
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:40 pm

honestly, its been several years since I have turkey hunted.. I did have one mouth call though, that I could really cut & purr with.. Don't know what was so special about it , but it was just "different"..
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:36 pm

I like the sound of a box the best.

I've never completely mastered a mouth call, but like the hands free capability.
bt58
12 Point

Postby leepurvis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:28 am

I've got a primos slate that I really like and a MAD titanium slate (at least I think that what it is) that is so-so. Mouth calls are really iffy for me. If I find one I like I'll use it until it tears up, but as of the moment, I don't have any. I'm working on getting a box call or two for this year also. I've borrowed one or two from friends in the past to see what I like, but I think I'll actually buy one of the primos calls this year.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 am

I like my Primos "The Freak" call. It's pretty easy to use and almost always gets a response. Another thing I learned last year that seems to work very well is to make a sound like a water drip when turkeys are getting close. It's supposed to be the sound a content hen makes. Worked both times I got a turkey in close last year too bad my aim was off. :cry: :cry:

I still haven't figured out how I missed one at 25 yards and didn't kill the one at 40 yards. I knocked him flat on his butt only to see him jump up and fly off. :x :x
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby razrback » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

I like my slate friction call, but I am really trying to get better at these mouth calls this year. I got some decent ones and I can actually purr on them, which I have never been able to do.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby sidog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:48 am

I like the H.S.Strut LI'L DEUCE double glass slate call with a H.S. crosscut striker.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby charlie007 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm

I like the crossland Fire wood box call and the Cody glass! :ylsuper:
charlie007
button buck

Postby Rajun cajun » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 pm

I dont have a favorite, I like to let the turkeys tell me which one they like at the time.

I have a Lynch box call

Primos Old Glory slate

And HS strut mouth calls
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby SHAG » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:33 pm

heres mine
SHAG
8 Point

Postby leepurvis » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:18 am

whats the one on the left made from? Interesting pattern on the wood.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby SHAG » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:53 am

Maple and Walnut
SHAG
8 Point

Postby russ_2204 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:56 am

I like Legacy Mouth calls (Ladies Night & Hysterical Hen)
I have a Preston Pittman "Tombstone" slate but , I'm fixin to switch to the Woodhaven Classic Crystal Friction call. And I use a Lynch Box call. Used the Legacy and Tombstone combo last year and brought one right on in.
Go Dawgs!!
russ_2204
button buck

Postby leepurvis » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:31 pm

SHAG wrote:Maple and Walnut

If it sounds a good as it looks, I don't how the turkeys could resist it!
Lee

leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby SHAG » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks, it must be pretty seductive; it talked my first gobbler into gettin' his ears pierced :wink:
SHAG
8 Point

Postby PAINTMAN » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:50 pm

That is a beautiful call, what kind is it?
PAINTMAN
4 Point

Postby SHAG » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks, it is one I made.
SHAG
8 Point

Postby razrback » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:20 pm

I would like to make me one but I had no luck finding patterns or templates. Were they hard to make?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby SHAG » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 pm

not really. but I have made several. I didn't have a pattern or template; I just kinda "eye-balled" them and made adjustments with each new call experimenting with different sizes and woods and how they effect the sound. I have two about the size of the one on the left (and made a few others that I gave to friends and family) that sound good but they are a little tall for some call holders. the one on the right fits the call holders well and I like the size but the tone is a little deep (for now anyways; the sound changes as they age-especially the first year). I think on the next one I'll try to make it not as long. wanna try one with walnut/sassafras and one with mahogany and maybe a sassafras/mahogany.

Anyway I'm still learning and the refining process is ongoing but that is what I like about it, there is always something new you want to try with each call. always in search of the "holy grail" of calls.
SHAG
8 Point

Postby SHAG » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Almost forgot, as far as mouth calls I would have to go with Woodhaven, I haven't tried one yet that I didn't like, I have some Knight & Hales I like but for every 7-8 K&H I buy only two or three will ever make it to the woods. As far as slates are concerened I like my M.A.D. aluminum.
SHAG
8 Point

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum