• Advertisement

Went Scouting This Weekend

Talk Turkey

Went Scouting This Weekend

Postby razrback » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 am

Well I went and tried to find some turkeys to hunt opening weekend. Its not looking to good. First I heard zero gobbles, seen no tracks, or sign at all. Second, the woods that I hunt have been burned, not completely but the ground was chared and the underbrush was pretty damaged. I don't know if this was a wildfire or if it was a prescribed burn by the Corps of Engineers.

So, I would like some input from y'all. Do you think that it really affected the turkeys and if so do you think that they moved out of the location for a long time. The deer are still plentiful numerous tracks and I even found a piar of shed antlers.

I don't know how long ago it was burned I figured at least a month or so.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby bt58 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:57 am

From my understanding a burn will not affect turkeys much at all. I have heard of them pecking at bugs while logs were still smoldering. That area will green up pretty quickly I imagine.
bt58
12 Point

Postby SHAG » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 pm

From what I understand; if you found an area that has been burned, that is where you should be...ain't nuthin like crispy crickets!!
SHAG
8 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 am

I would think that turkeys would migrate too a newly burned area... With fresh green vegetataion and open woods, it would be easy pickens for the turkeys...
gtk
Admin

Postby razrback » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I will give it a try this weekend, I hope your right. Maybe they just didn't feel like talkin the other day.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum