• Advertisement

First hunt of the year

Talk Turkey

First hunt of the year

Postby Jimmyg » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am

Well I was out of town for youth weekend and opening of the regular season and this Sunday after church was the first time I had a chance to even get to my lease. My son and I went down and had some work to do first, I wanted to get 2 of my deer stands down before everything got to green (mainly the poison ivey). So we got to the lease around 3 pm and worked till about 5 on getting the stands down. Nobody else was hunting on the place so after our work we decided to scout a few spots as I haven't scouted or even been down for a month. We sneaked into a field with a food plot and didn't see anything and continued to creep around the edges. This field is contoured like an upside-down bowl, steep inclines on both sides with a level area in the middle of the field. As we made it to the crest of the hill about 12-15 heads popped up on the down hill sloop in front of us and turkeys scattered everywhere. I was kinda miffed at myself for not moving slower than we did, but it was fun and exciting for my son

Well I had already planned on hunting on Monday and this just confirmed my plans even more. I decided to sleep in Monday morning because I work nights and if I got up early Monday morning I knew it would be about 28 hours before I got sleep again. I didn't want to start my week off behind on sleep, plus the only 2 turkeys killed on our lease so far have been killed in the afternoon. Well I got down to the lease about 12:30 and went straight to the same field that we saw the turkeys in the previous day. I set-up in a ground blind and waited. I called every 15-30 minutes and at 3:15 I had 4 hens come out and feed / stracthed around in the food plot for about 5 minutes and then they disappeared. At around 4:45 I had 3 jakes come out into the field, they flirted with my hen decoy, one of 'em even tried to strut for her, but it was a pretty weak attempt. After about 45 minutes of watching them I started to get a little tired of them so decided to have some fun with 'em. I would make a few soft clucks and purrs with a call and then follow it up with a gobble from another call. They started to get a little nervous with the gobble call after a couple minutes and scampered off to the far end of the field where I couldn't see them.

Even though I didn't see a big 'ole obbler, I had fun and was encouraged by the # of turkeys I've seen in the same field 2 days in a row. When I got home yesterday evening my boy was mad because wasn't with me today. I told him if would have been with me, he could have killed one of those jakes legally and gotten his first turkey. He informed me that the next time I go he just might have to miss school. I just might have to take him up on that.
Don't be stupid you idiot!
Jimmyg
6 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 am

Sounds like a fun :)

this in benton county ?
gtk
Admin

Postby Jimmyg » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Tippah, between Ripley and Corinth.
Don't be stupid you idiot!
Jimmyg
6 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Great story!

Thanks for sharing!

My Dad was really great......he would let me out of school with "Bronchitis" so I coul dgo hunting during his vacation times....

Principal said for a big ol healthy looking boy.....I sure had "bronchitis" a lot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure it will be worth every day you let him skip a school day to go with you. Not everything useful in life is found in a book!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum