• Advertisement

I HATE hens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk Turkey

I HATE hens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby ufgators68 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:31 pm

So I'm sitting there this morning doing some light calling and two hens fly down into the field, I'm thinking sweet, a gobbler should be out there soon. I'm right, one more hen flies down then he comes down just out of range. I called a couple more times but I quickly figure out I wasn't dragging him off those three old girls. They drifted over the hill and to the far side of a line of trees that extends into the bean field. I gave them about 5 minutes then I made my move, I knew exactly where they were going. I hauled tail down the opposite side of the tree line and got in front of them, hoping to ambush the old boy. It worked, I got there with a few seconds to spare. Well, he came through the opening, 15 yards away, with a hen walking between me and him. He stops, she keeps walking as do the other two hens. He's got his head down feeding and i decide to move to the right so I can get a good shot, he'd gotten behind some bushes while I was waiting on the hens to clear. I took my step to the right and a FOURTH hen busted me. WHERE IN GOD'S NAME DID SHE COME FROM?????????? That one "putt" was all it took, the gobbler hauled tail and the other hens gathered around to putt and look. Stayed there for 5 minutes watching me but I didn't want to totally give myself away, I think she only saw movement and couldn't make me out but I was busted nonetheless. My gobbler and his 8-10 inch beard got away. :x :x :x :x

It was a long walk back to the truck, I was so wet that my hat and face mask were dripping water from every possible spot. My calls got wet, my therma cell wouldn't even light when I was checking my equipment. I tore my Benelli down and found water everywhere.

GTK... you need a cursing smilie. :lol: :lol:

On a happier note, I'm now seeing and hearing gobblers. I'd only heard two gobbles before this weekend. :D :D
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:42 pm

:lol:

before I actually knew what a alarm putt was, I had accidently made one a few times with birds in the area.. They always took off and I had chalked it up to bad calling, until someone informed me I was making an alarm call :? :?
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:46 pm

I forgot to mention that it was raining so hard, at one point, that I could only see 100 yards... max. :? :? It probably did that for 20 minutes and rained steady for about an hour after that.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Jimmyg » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 am

tough break gator. at least your hearing some gobbling, things ought to be turning around for ya shortly.
Don't be stupid you idiot!
Jimmyg
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:39 am

Jimmyg wrote:tough break gator. at least your hearing some gobbling, things ought to be turning around for ya shortly.

Ha... funny you mention that. :lol: :lol:

Yesterday afternoon I'm sitting in another spot that's pretty decent for an afternoon hunt. I had my hen decoy out, a real hen feeding about 65 yards away and we're both "talking" to each other; I'd cluck or purr and she'd respond the same. 8) Well about an 20 minutes after I made my last few calls, a gobbler comes over a ridge making a bee line straight for me and the hen. I'm ready, had my gun up to my shoulder, sight turned on and safety off. Just as he closed to 60 yards or so, he stops and turns to his right, the hen does the same. About 2 seconds later they haul tail outta there and I look to my left to see my father in law coming down the turn row checking the corn he'd planted a couple of weeks ago. :? :?

I swear, I'm cursed. No way around it, I'm cursed. :lol: :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:41 am

ufgators68 wrote:Just as he closed to 60 yards or so, he stops and turns to his right, the hen does the same. About 2 seconds later they haul tail outta there and I look to my left to see my father in law coming down the turn row checking the corn he'd planted a couple of weeks ago. :? :?

sorry to laugh, but you got to admit, it seems funny
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:53 am

gtk wrote:
ufgators68 wrote:Just as he closed to 60 yards or so, he stops and turns to his right, the hen does the same. About 2 seconds later they haul tail outta there and I look to my left to see my father in law coming down the turn row checking the corn he'd planted a couple of weeks ago. :? :?

sorry to laugh, but you got to admit, it seems funny

When I get to thinking about it, after my initial pissed off rant, I usually laugh about the junk that happens. In the four years I've been hunting them overgrown chickens, I've had two shots at good gobblers. Both of them are still alive... although one might have a slight limp...lol. I hit one at 40 yards, he flew off and some how I completely missed one at 25 yards. Both of those happened last season.

My first season I hunted with a bow and had great success calling them in. Heck I even had one at 6 feet but I couldn't do anything because I was using a bow. :x Now I have moderate success, I think I'm getting much better though, at calling in birds. I'll eventually get one... :wink:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Rajun cajun » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:44 am

Good luck bro!

Atleast you are getting to go and seeing some birds!

I have only made one hunt hs year. PLan on giving it heck this Friday!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum