• Advertisement

Roosting???

Talk Turkey

Roosting???

Postby chadbragg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Anyone on here had any luck roosting turkeys? If so how and what time you done it???
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: Roosting???

Postby Bullie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Yeah, I roosted the first one I ever shot. Back in 1992. We roosted it with potatos and carrots, and onions and stuff like that. I like em better fried.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby sidog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm

I roosted one a couple of days ago here in TX. it was about 7:45pm here when He started gobbling on the roost.I had him double and triple gobbling at a owl hoot.I hope He picks the same tree Friday night because I will be close Saturday morning (Opener)!It gets dark here about an hour later than MS. I have had a good success rate on birds I roosted the night before,I typically try to get within 100yds of them if at all possible and if not as close as I think I can without getting busted.I don't like to call too much to them while their still on the limb but after they fly down it's on!I will be working 7 days a week for about 20 days after the opening unless I can weasel out of a day here and there.Happy Hunting!
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 am

I haven't had any luck "killing" a turkey I roosted, but I have "seen" them.

Speaking of which, I think this evening, if its not pouring down rain, I will run down to the farm to listen.
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am

The only place I try to roost them is where I cant hunt in the afternoons. Otherwise I am hunting them. About 15 hens didnt get to go to bed with their boyfriend last night because of it. ;) In other words I guess I am trying to say that I never go to the turkey woods with the purpose of roosting. I go with the purpose of killing.
stickers
10 Point

Postby stickers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 am

stickers wrote:The only place I try to roost them is where I cant hunt in the afternoons. Otherwise I am hunting them. About 15 hens didnt get to go to bed with their boyfriend last night because of it. ;) In other words I guess I am trying to say that I never go to the turkey woods with the purpose of roosting. I go with the purpose of killing.

If I happen to not kill one and roost one then so be it.
stickers
10 Point

Postby dublelung » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:15 pm

I've roosted several gobblers in the afternoon by getting in the roost area early and waiting on them to fly up. Several times the gobbler won't gobble but you can tell a heavy turkey flying up is usually a gobbler. I've killed a few of the ones I've roosted the evening before but it's surely not a given. It seemed to help me more on field birds and I would set up relatively close way before first light the next morning.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum