• Advertisement

Some locating ?'s

Talk Turkey

Some locating ?'s

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:10 pm

I know it's best to locate in the morning but how about in the evening?

So they tend to roost more on top of hills or down in the flats?

What are the favorite natural foods?

Why was I covered in turkey's during deer season but not a single one now?

Do y'all just ride and do locator calls to locate or do y'all hit the woods walking?

Last one pines or hardwoods?

This is my 3rd trying to learn how to turkey hunt. I really need to get one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Re: Some locating ?'s

Postby jv » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 pm

1. If you can locate one on the roost in the evening then it's a good chance he will be there the next morning and if you can get him to gobble on the roost that morning you can try to get as close to him as possible without spooking him.
2.Most of the one i have hunted roost more on the side of the hill or down in the flats
3.Foods......grass seeds, insects, acorns, grass
4.Because they know it's turkey season...lol......turkey will range 5 miles or more in a days time, they can be here one day and gone the next and might not be back for a few days or not at all.
5.I like to ride to a place and listen for a while and maybe try to get him to gobble to a locator call and if i don't hear him then ride a little farther and do the same thing again. I like to hunt in or close to fields so i might stand in a field and use a locator call to get him to gobble and then go to him.
6.I like to hunt in and around hardwoods but also have had them roost in a group of pines next to hardwoods, but as i said earlier i like to hunt open fields around hardwoods and most of the places i hunt is hardwoods.
Good luck deepwaterwolf.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Hey thanks for all the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 am

the turkey on our place in Desoto County seem to migrate.. They are there one week, gone the next, then back again..

Roost one in the evening, and he will more than likely be there in the am.. If he gobbles on the roost, don't overcall to him.. If you are close enough, you will here him fly down, then call softly to him. All you can do is hope the hens don't fly down close & draw him away from you.
gtk
Admin

Postby chadbragg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 am

One of my places is like that GTK. There are fields along hwy 45 in 2 ends of a bottom(about 3 miles). If I see them on either side I know not to try to hunt them but if they aren't in either of the fields mid day usually they will be close to my spot which is in the middle.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum