• Advertisement

Question for you experts...

Talk Turkey

Question for you experts...

Postby chadbragg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:50 pm

One tract of land I hunt is covered with birds. Every hunt I have been on I've heard a minimum of 5 different birds, but they won't come to calls. They will gobble back every time I call but won't close the distance. The last 2 mornings I got to within 75yds of a bird and I'd call and he'd gobble, some times double & triple gobbling and it'd go on for 20min. He just won't come in. We have tried decoys, and thought that was spooking them. I've about decided they are "call shy". What's you guys opinion?
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: Question for you experts...

Postby terry08 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Best I can tell you, is to learn turkey hunting. Sometimes you have to figure out how to out smart the bird. And it ain't always easy. :shock::shock::shock:
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm

is it possible they're hitting a fence line or a creek? I've had it where they would hang up and not cross over. Don't know why but they wouldn't.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 pm

CB, I had the same thing happen to me year before last.
The only way I was able to kill him was set up between him and
The hens and do a fly down and nothing else. He came right in.
I worked him for like 4 weekends and he would always go the other way.
When they get call shy they are hard to outsmart!
On birds like that I think less is more!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 pm

I had one like that on our place a couple years ago.. Never could get him.. He hit the same field every afternoon. If I went to one end, he went to the other. Some turkeys are just smarter than other turkeys :)
gtk
Admin

Postby chadbragg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm

I fences or creeks on the property. Only 2 small springs, maybe 2-3' wide but not in the area I was hunting.
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 pm

After he answers you stop calling to him. He is waiting for you to come to him. If you can get close it is better. When he answers you stop calling loud. Purr and scratch in the leaves.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

they got hens with em i bet
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 am

Just like the others have said......he wants you to come to him and has hen's with him or there is something that he see's that he does not like and will not close the distance. Try as said soft purrs and scratching in the leaves. I will carry decoys but seldon use them....they will spook a gobbler sometimes.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:12 am

I'm gonna let it rest a week or so then try again.
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 am

HENS !!!! They know if they keep gobbling long enough that they will show up and are nearby. 1 hen can screw you up as much as 100 of them. Sounds as if they are 2 yo that will tolerate(or thus far) each other. And there is no pecking order. I wouldnt try decoys on them at all. More than likely all they will do is hang up and gobble their brains out at it. But I wouldnt let them rest. Just call to them as sparingly as possible. And patience is an utmost. If he answers you he has made a mental note as to where you are. Sometimes it may take 3 or 4 hours for him to come by and check. But he will be there. But you have to MAKE them look. If you keep calling then they are not worried and will just continue to gobble. LESS IS MORE. I have killed a lot of birds by just making 1 cluck or yelp to them the entire morning.
stickers
10 Point

Postby sidog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Sometimes if a turkey is hung up waiting for you to come to him if you back off instead of coming closer and call to them it makes them more curious and they will have to come and see why She's playing hard to get? Sometimes it takes a long time for a tom to come and check on the place he heard a hen early in the morning. Some turkeys are really smart and hard to call and if they weren't I would not enjoy it nearly as much as I do. After the hens are bred the toms are still interested breeding and become more vulnerable. (far from an expert but I've killed lots of turkeys)
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby terry08 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Them turkey's, sound a lot like me back in my dating years. ;);)
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum