• Advertisement

Trophy Turkey

Talk Turkey

Trophy Turkey

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 pm

What's is your idea of a trophy Turkey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Re: Trophy Turkey

Postby johndavid78 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm fairly new to turkey hunting. So far, every turkey is a trophy for me!
johndavid78
8 Point

Postby jv » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:33 am

I have killed many turkeys in my years of hunting and they all are trophy turkey to me and I have had many memorial hunts but there are two that I wouldn't take nothing for.
The first one is the day a very dear friend that I had killed her first turkey and the other was the day my son killed his first turkey. Like I said I have killed a good many turkey over the 40 plus years I have turkey hunted but these two will always be at the top of the list.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:04 pm

They are all trophies in my book. It wasnt until deer hunters started turkey hunting that the measuring and scoring of a turkey had any relevance.
stickers
10 Point

Postby deepwaterwolf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 am

I completely agree with everyone that they all are special. However I was wanting to know what aspects of a turkey would make you pass on it and let it live. I.e. Beard to short.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 am

I've not killed enough to be particular yet... If its legal, its going in my freezer :)
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am

deepwaterwolf wrote:I completely agree with everyone that they all are special. However I was wanting to know what aspects of a turkey would make you pass on it and let it live. I.e. Beard to short.

The way I see it, if i hear one gobble on the roost and I set up and call him in to me and he is a full grown gobbler even if his beard is only say 7 inches which is legal them I will take him and still call him a trophy simply because I beat him at the game in his home field.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Even though I haven't turkey hunted for the last 28 years, I agree with jv and gtk. When I did turkey hunt, and I was pretty good at it, I would not shoot a jake which was legal then, so I see where you are coming from.

To me TV is destroying one of the best parts of hunting, the fun. Most people can't travel the country to the best places to kill the biggest deer, or turkey. Many of us are lucky to be able to travel across the county, make sure you read that right, county not country, to a second mediocre spot. So, that barely legal bird is a magical trophy to many.

Anyone that enjoys letting legal birds walk has my full support though. It's all about the enjoyment for me, not the trophy. When the enjoyment disappeared, I quit.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:39 pm

5" plus they are all trophy's

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby sidog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 am

I love calling Turkeys for first timers they seem to always become addicted as I am. As far as trophies goes I consider a legal Tom that you call in close enough to kill lights out a trophy.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby stickers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 am

deepwaterwolf wrote:I completely agree with everyone that they all are special. However I was wanting to know what aspects of a turkey would make you pass on it and let it live. I.e. Beard to short.

I have killed lots of mature gobblers that had a short beard or no beard at all. But I can tell a gobbler from a jake instantly by looks and the way he acts. So in other words I think the only turkeys I have ever passed is when my wife is shooting or I have tagged out.
stickers
10 Point

Postby sidog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I killed 2 at one time in 2014 and one had 1 3/16" spurs and the other had a 1 1/4" and 1 5/16 spur. Both had beard rot with thick short beards with a few long strands. Mature Tom's with long snoods and large bodies. The pics are on page 4 of this board.
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum