• Advertisement

opening day

Talk Turkey

opening day

Postby lugnut » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:38 pm

weather was crap. strong winds and it was foggy all day long. i didn't hear a single turkey or catch a single fish :cry:
lugnut
Boone&Crockett

Re: opening day

Postby gtk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 am

Sat & Sunday, I drove from Olive Branch, to Ripley, MS, then to Booneville, MS.

i didn't see the first turkey on any of the roads, and only saw one or two deer. Usually I see a ton of deer, and quite a few turkey this time of year..
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:37 am

I didn't even hear a gobble Saturday morning. That afternoon I got permission to hunt a place close to ours and saw 3 gobblers with 19 hens there. I got to within 75 yards of them and didn't even know it, when I was walking in. Just as the sun started coming up good, I could see their silhouettes in the trees so I setup where I was and hoped for the best. They all hit the ground, I did some light calling but all that did was piss off the hens, they were cutting me off every time I'd try and call. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I have them figured out now, after talking to the owner, and I'm pretty much just going to ambush them this weekend. :twisted:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby mhn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:34 am

Early season it's tough, lots of hunters forget that the hens are just as fired up as the toms if not more. either get aggressive, or wait till later in the day.
mhn
8 Point

Postby Rajun cajun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 pm

sit tight..............whe the hens nest for the day the old mossy backed goblers remember where the calliing came from and wilwork around to find loesome and hot, poonanny hen, I worked my bird for about three hours then killed it at 10 AM
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby WGbuckfever » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Shot mine at 1:30 in the afternoon. Didnt see the first bird til about 1:00. Thats when they started coming into the field. Never heard the first gobble all day. Early season takes alot of patience.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum