• Advertisement

I got real close

Talk Turkey

I got real close

Postby turrettoad13 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Me and a bud got on one Sunday morning hitting hard and heavy . We set up west of him and waited . We had a bit of " help " on the other side of the fence line , never saw the bird after they over called . The next day the tom was still there hitting hard about 6:30 , so I eased around to the east a bit and started yelping at 6:45 . After a few minutes of yelping and cuttting he went nuts , doudled a few times and even tripled once . I knew he was in a low spot just across the fence so I moved away after sitting down the first time to try and draw him in . Same sweeet calling - same hard gobbles . He was holding onto his roost limb waiting for me to come to him . About 7:20 I decided to try and go to him , I made a wide circle . Just after I sat down for the 3rd time he gobbled as soon as I called . I moved my hand to my mouth to throw the next yelp behind me I heard the dreaded "putttttt" . I looked up to a limb about 35 yards out and locked eyes with him . he putted and gobbled a few more times and then he sailed off to my far right , I looked at my watch it was 7:40. I walked away with a smile , so it was worth it . I think ( in my mind ) that's what puts turkey hunting a notch above deer hunting . When you get a " almost " with a tom you smile . With a buck you kick , cuss and everything else .
I want Bullie to score my squirrel !!!
turrettoad13
4 Point

Re: I got real close

Postby WGbuckfever » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:44 pm

I know what you mean. Those things are so sharp, thats what makes it so fun. I got one for team 5 yesterday. Looks like we were close to having two.
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby mhn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:03 pm

WG's right, that's a good time. Win some Loose some, at least you got to GO! 8)
mhn
8 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 am

turrettoad13 wrote: I walked away with a smile , so it was worth it . I think ( in my mind ) that's what puts turkey hunting a notch above deer hunting . When you get a " almost " with a tom you smile . With a buck you kick , cuss and everything else .

Thats a good way to put it :)
gtk
Admin

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum