• Advertisement

It's crying time again........

Talk Turkey

It's crying time again........

Postby Rajun cajun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Cause seasons over.........the FAT lady has sung her song!

I heard her tuning up Friday....and the show is over for me now!

I got up Saturday morn at faint light (darn alarm clock did not go off) got dressed quickly, glad I had gotten everything together Friday night!

Grabbed the backpack, camera and gun and hoofed it across the creek and up a (small mountain) (for a handicapped person) we call walking ridge.

Set up near a one year old cutover of sage grass and a few small bushes, on a hardwood alley between the cutover and a ridge.

Hazy fog, and still just a little after daylight, called softly, loudly, sweet, raspy, and for all my efforts I heard one hen and what sounded like a young gobbler way off on some other property.

Hunted till 1 PM and headed in. Took a nap and then fired up the pit and cooked some pork chops around 4:pm..........5 pm the first storm wave came in and it rained all night.

Checked alarm clock and got up at 4:30 am this morning. Went to another area and was where I wanted to be at the first hint of daylight.

I called a few times softly and then just got into "sit mode" and waited.

It was misting rain when I went in the woods so I left my video camera in the truck. The woods were soaking wet and water falling from the leaves constantly from the rain last night.

TWO HOURS after daylight I heard four birds pitch down off the roost on the property next to me. They went the other way evidently, without making a peep or checking me out.....Darn hens...........

A little while later I catch motion 20 yaards from me........ a big doe, doe yearling and what looks like will be a spike, came out... they looked in my direction and never saw me...........I was eye level with them...... gotta love the brand new camo I got.... "ZERO-Detect Camo".

Then came a huge bodied buck who looked my way and never took a double take. then comes four more bucks smaller in size. Most look like they will be decent racked bucks as their pedicals are big around and about 4 inches high already. All looked right past me when they looked down the bottom and ridge.

I hunted till around 10 am then headed to Marks so we could shoot some footage of me disappearing in the woods for a video promotion of this new camo.

So season is over for me.............. I get to look forward to some work around the house, fishing, and maybe a hog hunt or two.
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Re: It's crying time again........

Postby gtk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:54 am

the deer were definitely moving this weekend ... we saw several out & about this weekend... only saw one turkey, a lone gobbler out in a field by himself..
gtk
Admin

Postby redford » Thu May 01, 2008 6:15 pm

it is crying time for me.going to be a long wait till next year .i got one this year ,and allmost got number 2 this am ,got him in at about 70 yards and would not come any futher.he did not see the hen so he turned tail and went the other way.could not get a decoy out because it was in open field.so till next year. :cry: :cry:
redford
button buck

Postby SHAG » Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Right there with ya!! :cry:
Mathews FX
Oneida Black Eagle ESC
T/C Omega .50 cal w/Nikon Monarch 4x40 & Leuopold QR Rings
Remington 742 Carbine .30-06 w/ Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44
SHAG
8 Point

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum