• Advertisement

Wanting to learn to duck hunt.

Wanting to learn to duck hunt.

Postby WVHunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 am

I've always had a rule in my hunting career; if I don't eat it, I don't kill it. I had never tasted duck before and therefore never had much interest in duck hunting until my best friend fixed some for my dad and me this past Christmas. I did a "V-8" face-palm and asked myself what in the hell have I been missing. After that, I vowed to get a decent bird gun (all the shotguns i currently had didn't have removable chokes) and bag some of these delicious birds. I set a goal for a couple years.

Fast forward to this spring.

My uncle, who was an avid hunter and a second father to me, passed away. Two weeks after the funeral, my cousin calls me and tells me I need to come up there, that my uncle Turkey had left me something. So that weekend I drive up to her house. She's all tears and happy to see me (she lost both parents in a matter of 3 days) then proceeds to hand me a felt gun case when suddenly my heart stops. Inside was my uncle's most prized possession: his Browning 12 ga. 3" Mag A5 Gold Trigger.

So now I not only want to bag a few birds for the table this Christmas, but to honor my uncle's memory as well. The problem is, I don't have any decoys, dogs, or experience with tactics to plan a successful duck hunt.

I would really appreciate it if someone would let me come on a hunt with them and learn the ropes.

Much appreciation,
WVHunter
WVHunter
button buck

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt.

Postby johndavid78 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:55 am

Hi, I'm David. And I'm addicted to duck hunting.

Where are you located?
johndavid78
8 Point

Postby WVHunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 am

I live in Yalabusha County in Mississippi
WVHunter
button buck

Postby Smacko » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 am

first welcome to the forum....I am sure my son will want someone to go with him duck hunting. Shoot me ur number in a PM and I will pass along
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 am

Yall help this guy out. Welcome to the site, sorry for your loss. I am sure you will make him proud.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Welcome to the party :welcome: ! This is a great site with mostly great people. I hate it took losing your uncle to get you into duck hunting, but I sure bet he would be proud.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby johndavid78 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 pm

PM me your info. I deer hunt in Yalobusha county and live in Batesville.....I duck hunt in XXXXXXXXX :)
johndavid78
8 Point

Postby j2dirtracer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm

You should be able to find some good spots close to Coffeeville we hunt grenada lake some. Get up with me later and maybe we can go one day. And just so you know we don't do the fancy blind business with the big screen tv, bbq grill, central heat and air and high pile carpet. We more like a redneck dove hunt except shooting ducks. One time we will be leaned against a tree in flooded timber shooting wood ducks flyin 875 mph or standing chest deep in a beaver slough next time. But we do have fun every time.
Im just a dirtbag that lacks the necessary skills to hunt like a real hunter, so I just sit in a tree for a few hours in the morning and evening.
j2dirtracer
Unskilled Dirtbag

Postby WVHunter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:07 am

That sounds perfect to me. That's the way my uncle done it. shoot me a pm with your contact info
WVHunter
button buck

Return to Waterfowl