• Advertisement

2008-11-22 Opening Day

2008-11-22 Opening Day

Postby gtk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Cold, Cold morning.
About 22 when I left the house.
Sunny.
Wind out of the east/south east.

Got in the stand at 6:05. Started hearing deer running thru sagegrass/thickets about 8:45. Heard them about 10 minutes before the first buck crossed the shooting lane. Going to fast to tell. I'm pumped up now because I can still hear them.

A few minutes later a 4 point comes running in front of me & stops. He's breathing so hard his mouth will not close, & slobber is coming out of his mouth.. He has been running HARD !

Next I see a possible shooter. I know he's the same buck I've been getting pictures of, so I let him walk in hopes of one of my kids or my nephews will get him.

Next a heavy horned 6 or 7 point comes out. I almost shoot him, but sit tight hoping the big one will come out (and hoping there is another big one around since one got run over).

About 10:00 the bucks are still running crazy thru the thickets. By now I've seen them so many times, I don't even raise my gun when they come thru. Three does come out & give a wide berth to the bucks, wanting nothing to do with them.

10:50 and the wife calls wondering when I'm coming home :roll: and while I'm on the phone, another deer runs across the shooting lane. Couldn't tell what it was, but pretty sure it was a small buck.

I'm hungry, & go home.
gtk
Admin

Re: 2008-11-22 Opening Day

Postby gtk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Came back in the evening. Pretty uneventful, except for two small yearlings.
gtk
Admin

Return to GTK's Journal