• Advertisement

Questions About Crows

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Questions About Crows

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 pm

One day this week I observed one of a group of crows intent on getting into my garden die from lead poisioning and it made me wonder about a couple of things.

I have read that the U. S. Fish and Game regulations, which are Federal laws, allow for the shooting of crows anytime without any sort of permit if they are depredating crops or creating a health hazard. Since the state has a crow hunting season for which a normal hunting license is required, I am wondering how these two laws, which seem to be in conflict, apply.

For example, if crows are eating crops is it legal to shoot them under the Federal law regarding crop destruction even if "crow season" is not open for hunting? It would seem to me that hunting for crows which typically involves calling and luring crows into range for killing is a completely different activity than is killing crows destroying crops. The first is merely killing for sport whereas the second is killing to prevent loss of a valuable and needed crop.

To me, it is somewhat of a moral question akin to the age old understanding that it is morally wrong to steal in general but if you are a going to die if you don't get your medication but cannot afford to buy any, the greater moral value of preserving human life justifies stealing medicine if you had to do so. It's pretty obvious to me that the life of a pesky crow is way less valuable than the crops people need for food to live. I equate it to shooting rats who might be plundering the crop if it was in storage. Merely because the crop is still in the field and a different animal is feasting upon it does not, to me, make it any different than if it was in storage and rats were eating it up. Morally most people would see no issue with shooting the rats, poisioning them, etc. but some people tend to think killing birds doing the same thing to the same crop is somehow inappropriate. I disagree personally, and it would seem that if the Federal laws are as I have been told they are, the U. S. Government agrees with my logic too.

But I was just wondering (in case some more crows get lead poisioning here :D ) if anyone has any info about how Mississippi sees it?
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Questions About Crows

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 am

Good question, and like a lot of other laws on the books dealing with seasons/wildlife, there is a lot of "grey area"
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 am

Good question.....Well it would first depent if the federal law would overide the state law and also if your garden was classed as a crop by federal laws.....first you would have to get the state AG to make a rulling on the act to see if you where actually defending your crop as stated in the federal ruling or just using it just shoot some nosiey crows :W: .... but knowing how the state thinks, they could say that you planted the garden just to use it as a plot to bait the crows to come in so you could shoot them :stir:

But like i said it was a good question and i just don't know the answer :nono:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 pm

I did not admit to shooting any crows. I only said I "observed one die." :D

Given that I have fenced my garden in an effort to keep wildlife out, it probably would be fairly hard to make a "baiting" case stick. My general rule has always been that all critters have a legitimate safe haven anywhere on my land outside hunting season EXCEPT anywhere in the yard around my house. When they invade my yard and especially if they head for my garden, flower beds, or the house itself, they become instant "fair game" in my book.

I plant food plots in the woods where any wild animal can eat to their hearts content. If they stay in the woods, they can eat all they want and are safe from my gun. In fact, I even plant any left over garden seeds in the woods plots so they can enjoy the same veggies that are in my garden without fear of being shot. But if they head for my garden, all bets are off. I feel if I spend my time, effort, and money to plant both myself and the animals food plots, then they should respect what is mine to eat. That is my "trade off" I make with killing them if they invade MY personal food plot, ie. my garden. The smart ones eat at the woods plots and stay out of my garden!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby merrillcd_mem » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 am

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20624

Just keep this in mind when messing with crows ... :lol:
merrillcd_mem
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:26 pm

merrillcd_mem wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20624

FireCloud, I think he is saying you look like a caveman! :rotflol: :stir:
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

huntall wrote:
merrillcd_mem wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20624

FireCloud, I think he is saying you look like a caveman! :rotflol: :stir:

Many of my neighbors and some of my friends pretty much classify me as a Neanderthal type anyway because I tend to like primitive things, love to go kill something and drag it back to the cave, etc.

I've been wanting to write in my blog or maybe a post to the forum about some of the reseach findings on the abiility and intelligence of various animals. Crows and some other animals have indeed learned to identify "bad" people they don't like by the facial features. All crows may look alike to humans but all humans certainly don't look alike to crows.

But the caveman mask gives me a great idea. Might get me one and wear it into the woods. The critters might see me in the mask and not recognize me later if I remain in the woods and take it off.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits