• Advertisement

Raccoon Wars - A New Episode

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Raccoon Wars - A New Episode

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Monday night the weather was nice enough to sleep with my windows up. Shortly before 4 AM I was awakened by howling. I was not all that loud and at first I thought it might be a coyote hunting along the creek. But when I peered out the window I could barely make out a dark blob on my patio below. I thought a large tomcat had come to pay Mija, my five month old kitten, a social call.

When I called for Mija, the dark blob ran off. I went downstairs, got my gun, and light, and opened the back window. I spotlighted two big glowing eyes at the edge of the woodline. I fired a warning shot near the animal to scare it off. I discovered Mija had been hiding behind her box and and howling to try to scare the intruder away.

Last night, shortly before midnight a transformer blew and the entire neighborhood went dark. I decided to keep Mija inside and once again opened the windows then went to bed. About 15 minutes later we were both awakened by something scraping around in her cat food dish on the patio. This time I had my spotlight upstairs with me due to the power failure and was able to see a large raccoon strolling around on the patio.

So I now have to get rid of a very bold raccoon who is making my kitten nervous by backing her into a corner. I will give her credit however for attempting to defend her territory. I fight hard with her several times every day so that she will be aggressive and willing to take on anything. She is very quick and tough but she is no match for any raccoon.

Thus begins a new episode of the ongoing "Raccoon Wars" which are part of life on Trehan Creek. Going to have to sit up one night soon and give Mr. Raccoon a surprise when he comes to dine on Mija's food! :D
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Raccoon Wars - A New Episode

Postby FireCloud » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:56 pm

It took a few days before the skirmish began in the new episode of the Raccoon Wars. During this time I carefully arranged things so as to get a shot at the raccoon when he came to rob my kitten's food dish. I kept my gun and light by the upstairs window and checked the area every time I went by the window each night. I also kept Mija inside for a few nights so she would not be in the line of fire.

A couple nights ago, I happened to glance out the window just before midnight and spotted the raccoon just off the patio. I very quitely eased open the window and got my .22 in position. The was enough light from the porch for a good shot. But the raccoon was constantly moving around and generally not giving me a shot I wanted to take. Basically he kept his hindquarters facing me and his head down and away from me. I wanted a head shot, if possible.

He was steadily moving away from the house and toward an area where it would be too dark for a shot. Finally he shifted slightly to the left and I could at least see his head but he turned to look to his right when I had the crosshairs lined up. That only left me a little area on his neck for a potential killing shot.

I sent a round through his neck. He whirled around and ran for the woods, growling in pain as he went. I decided the last thing I wanted to do was track a wounded raccoon through thick woods at night on foot with a light and a .22 rifle. I decided his carcass should be a meal for the vultures, closed the window, and informed Mija of my success.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 am

Dang bandits
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby BeardsAndBones » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm

They sure can out do their welcome that is for sure.
BeardsAndBones
10 Point

Return to Small Game & Varmits