• Advertisement

Charity Squirrel Hunts

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Charity Squirrel Hunts

Postby glenn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 am

I know it's early, but I was posting on another thread that brought the charity hunts to mind, so I thought I would start a thread about them. There were 2 this past year that I know of and hope this year they won't be on the same weekend. They are both great hunts for a great purpose.

The first I want to mention is the "A Hunt Above" squirrel hunt. I hope Smacko, reesguide, or someone involved will post and give some more information that really knows about both the organization and the hunt. What I do know is they had hunts in 3 different part so the state last year on the same day to help raise money to be able to take handicapped hunters and fishermen on trips they would not otherwise be able to make. It has grown every year and I expect it to continue to get bigger.

The other is one I have been involved with to a degree for quite a few years. It's the "Redneck Adventures" TV show handicapped squirrel hunt. The past couple of years I have gotten really involved.

A little history on this hunt. It started as a fun hunt just to get people together that had helped out over the year and kill a few squirrels. On the Friday before, my rabbit hunting group and I would take their sponsors on a rabbit hunt. As the show took off, it got to the point we had to stop because there were so many people wanting to rabbit hunt we couldn't handle the load. But, the next year, by accident my group was rabbit hunting on the same property as some of the squirrel hunters.

Jim Bob, one of the Redneck Adventures hosts and I got to talking and we decided to take a group of kids rabbit hunting the next day. Every kid had an adult with them, but no adults carried a gun. It was all about the kids and one was handicapped. Redneck Adventures had always done some handicapped hunts for their show, but this day there wasn't even a camera around. Anyway I noticed that after this the squirrel hunt they had started having more and more handicapped hunters involved.

They are a for profit TV show, and were not set up for major organized hunts. Their hunt became one and getting things organized was almost over whelming. They took some steps to change things and get more organized. The last few years it has become a handicapped hunt for handicapped hunters. People come from all over to bring their dogs and provide a weekend to remember for the handicapped hunters that attend. Friday is all about the handicapped. Saturday there are both goups with handicapped hunters as well as groups without. What money is raised is used to help cover the expenses of taking handicapped hunters on other hunts through out the year. This past year we had 16 handicapped hunters hunting with us and well over 200 others that participated.

Through this show my son has gotten involved to the point he takes handicapped kids hunting often. He has taken them squirrel, deer, rabbit, turkey hunting and fishing. He calls turkeys and guides for them on both our place and others. Knowing what a TV show has accomplished for the handicapped hunters, I can only imagine what A Hunt Above has been able to do. The sad part to me is that last year they all fell on the same weekend, each pulling from the other. As I said earlier I hope that can be avoided this year.

Even though I have have no real voice in either group other than helping with the organizing of the Redneck Adventures hunt, here is what I would love to see happen. I know there is a lot more to it behind the scenes that may, or may not be able to be worked out, but I would love to see the 2 groups work together. They could help one another. Redneck Adventures could help A Hunt Above by giving them more publicity and A Hunt Above could help Redneck Adventures with organization. Ideally for me, there would be a hunt each weekend in February in a different part of the state.

Redneck Adventures has always done theirs in Natchez on the third weekend of February. If I remember right A Hunt Above had theirs in the delta, Grenada and McNair (about 20 miles from Natchez) all the same day. I would like to see the McNair and Natchez hunts combined for this part of the state and another could be set up on the southeastern side, Hattiesburg, Laurel, or somewhere in the general area. I would also like to see handicapped in all parts of the state get to go on a hunt. I think many squirrel dog owners would be willing to make at least 2 hunts and some would even make them all instead of competing for dogs in 4 different locations all at the same time. There are just so many dogs available and I believe they would all be better hunts done seperately.

Anyway I would like to invite anyone interested in coming to Natchez for the Redneck Adventures hunt to plan on coming. They always have plenty of good places to go and things are much better organized now than in the past. If you have a handicapped hunter you would like to bring, please contact them and surely it can be set up. If you just want to hunt, or have a dog, they can accomodate you. Hopefully both groups will get together and be able to do even bigger things for our handicapped hunters than they have been able to in the past.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: Charity Squirrel Hunts

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 am

I seen a post that Todd Pounds made last year of the Redneck Adventures hunt, thought that was prety neat... Looked like them kids had a good time...
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Re: Charity Squirrel Hunts

Postby EddyBo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:28 am

Good stuff right there Glenn. The charitable spirit abounds in most true sportsmen.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Return to Small Game & Varmits