• Advertisement

bullie?

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

bullie?

Postby TiteGrpR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:30 am

Reckon how many squirrels there are in the state? The woods i hunt has at least 5 per acre.
#----------Kill It -N- Grill It---->
TEAM TENTH LEGION
TiteGrpR
4 Point

Re: bullie?

Postby Bullie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 am

I don't think I have seen a recent population estimate. I don't recall, with any certainty, ever seeing a squirrel number.

I do think their are more squirrels now than, lets say 30 years ago. I remember Holly Springs NF being full of camping squirrel hunters when I was a kid. That is a tradition that has fallen by the wayside for sure. There was a squirrel camp at every pulloff back in the day. I think the long term reduction of pressure on squirrels has made for some great opportunities to bag a bunch of the fuzzy rascals. That is after they have been judged to be culls by a qualified B&S squirrel scoring type scorer person.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby glenn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 am

There is an expert that recently estimated there is in excess of 33 million squirrels in Mississippi. Of those 33 million there are less than .0001% that stand any chance of qualifying as a B&S squirrel. To even see one is remarkable, but to harvest one is virtually impossible.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:52 am

glenn wrote:There is an expert that recently estimated there is in excess of 33 million squirrels in Mississippi. Of those 33 million there are less than .0001% that stand any chance of qualifying as a B&S squirrel. To even see one is remarkable, but to harvest one is virtually impossible.

This sounds like good, sound, science to me. And, it makes it all the more amazing that I have not only seen many B&S Trophy Type Buck Squirrels but I have also bagged the last two World Record B&Sers!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby leepurvis » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am

Bullie wrote:This sounds like good, sound, science to me. And, it makes it all the more amazing that I have not only seen many B&S Trophy Type Buck Squirrels but I have also bagged the last two World Record B&Sers!!!!

let things happen and be the squirrel...
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby TiteGrpR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

I was thinking a much higher number than 33 million.
#----------Kill It -N- Grill It---->
TEAM TENTH LEGION
TiteGrpR
4 Point

Postby glenn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:00 am

TiteGrpR wrote:I was thinking a much higher number than 33 million.

How dare you question the integrity of an expert? :rotflol: You must pay closer attention to details and one day you too might see, or even kill a B&S squirrel. The expert said "in EXCESS of 33 million"! :bash: That means more than 33 million. :W: :stir: :rotflol:
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits