• Advertisement

A Squirrel Oddity

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

A Squirrel Oddity

Postby FireCloud » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 pm

When cleaning a squirrel I shot Saturday I discovered something I have never encountered before in all my years of squirrel hunting. As I skinned the squirrel, I notice not one, but two BB's embedded in his hide. This squirrel apparently was a slow learner, having been popped by a kid with a BB gun once on his right flank and then a second time just behind his right shoulder. I cannot image a squirrel taking a hit like that twice, but I dug both BB's out of his skin.

For those who have not encountered this before, please let your kids know a BB will NOT kill a squirrel. In fact, it will not even wound the flesh. The hide is so tough it catches the BB's and prevents them from doing any real damage. Obviously, it does not even annoy the squirrel enough for him to run off so as to avoid getting shot twice. My .22 to the head however dropped him in his tracks for good.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: A Squirrel Oddity

Postby FireCloud » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Humm. I think this is one of the all time worst "dud" posts I have ever done. It's sunk already to page 3 on the list. Plus it only got 35 views, (some of which were mine!), and no replies. Usually anything I post gets well over a hundred views with some going much higher than that. Maybe I should have posted photos of the dissected squirrel showing the BB's! :D

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby schoolmarm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 am

please show the pics of the BB..
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 am

:)

I disagree on a bb gun "not" killing a squirrel. I killed a many of them with my bb gun growing up. Several of us kids would roam the streets of Olive Branch with BB guns and kill squirrels left & right :)

Course, these days they would call the swat team out if they saw a group of kids walking down the street with BB guns.
gtk
Admin

Postby joshua99ta » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 am

It's those darn red rider bbqing guns that don't get the job done

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Postby jaystokes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:18 am

I disagree to, I have killed a several hundred in my early days. Them ten pump bb gunsI( powerline 880 was my favorite, also had a crossman) would kill them dead!!!! Like said previous I dont think a red ryder would yield enough power to kill one.
Jay Stokes

President

www.breakawayoutdoors.org
jaystokes
button buck

Postby FireCloud » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 am

It sure could be the gun was not powerful enough.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jaystokes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 am

Now these new gamo rifles etc...... they the real deal, I have one that will shoot thru a 2x4 stud, Its not real accurate but it packs a punch at 1200 fps
Jay Stokes

President

www.breakawayoutdoors.org
jaystokes
button buck

Postby glenn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I also disagree with a bb not killing a squirrel. Several years ago my whole fanily met at my parents house for Sunday lunch. My brother in law had been squirrel hunting that morning and we were going to eat them as part of lunch, but he only killed one that day. One of the kids came inside to tell me there were some squirrels in a tree in the woods behind the house and wanted me to kill one to add to the pot. So, armed with my trusty pump up Crossman bb gun I had handed down to one of the nephews several years before, I went out and added 2 more for the meal. My brother in law was not happy that I killed more with a BB gun than he had all morning with a shotgun.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Some of these new one's have enought power to kill squirrels.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:10 pm

When I wrote my post I was thinking about the lever action cock once and fire "Daisy" style BB guns. I also own a "ten pump" style BB gun now and it most definitely will not kill a squirrel. I have tested it out on a couple of squirrels here. In fact, come to think of it, the squirrel I killed with BB's in it, may have MY BB's in his hide. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits