• Advertisement

Bullie, MIB, and Firecloud go Squirrel Hunting.

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Bullie, MIB, and Firecloud go Squirrel Hunting.

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I thought it might interest some of the forum readers to hear about how my squirrel hunt with Bullie and MIB went.

The night before the hunt, Bullie demonstrated his smart phone app that makes his phone ring like a cowbell when he shakes it. As an Ole Miss grad, in my opinion NOTHING is more redneck than clanging a MS State cowbell over your smart phone!

The next morning MIB joined us for the morning squirrel hunt. We only had one four wheeler so we all three piled on it and headed out. It looked a bit strange to the folks showing up at the deer camp but none of them said anything cause they already knew Bullie was a bit strange.

We hiked through the woods as Bullie demonstrated the tracking GPS he had. Bullie showed us how the software would display "treed" when the dog stopped moving for a minute. I asked how the GPS knew the difference between when the dog stopped to take a crap and when it stopped at a tree? (Rednecks have toys like that because they cannot just listen for the dog to bark when it trees.) Bullie just gave me an ugly look and continued walking.

It was about Squirrel #2 that things started to fall apart. Jiggs had him treed and Bullie shook vines to make him move. He told MIB to shoot him when he ran. As he shook the vines, the squirrel made an escape run. Bullie hollared to MIB "Shoot him" and we waited...nothing happened. MIB then yelled out "I forgot to load my gun." He was shooting a breach lock .410 and when we got into position he just closed the action without loading a shell. We could hear the squirrel laughing as it made it across to the other side of the creek and escaped.

Bullie and I ribbed MIB all the way to the next squirrel Jiggs treed. I had been shooting up in the trees to help make the squirrels move with my bolt action .22. Squirrel #3 moved around to my side of the tree when we shook him out and I fired at him. Nothing happen. It was then that I discovered I had not ejected the last fired shell. This squirrel also escaped while looking back and smirking at the clowns with guns who could not even load them between shots. We had one squirrel so far between the three of us after about a half dozen trees that Jiggs had made. This was not good, I thought.

Undaughted we proceeded on and came to a green field deer plot. I bent down, plucked some of the grass, and chewed a bit of it. MIB asked me if I could taste whether or not the deer had been there. I had not thought about that aspect before, and decided maybe tasting the grass was not such a good idea. I just wanted to see what they had planted and how appealing it was to the deer.

Jiggs had begun to understand that, as squirrel hunters and skilled outdoorsmen, we sucked and were not getting the job done. The next squirrel she treed proved to be another adventure about like the others. If the three stooges every went squirrel hunting, their adventure likely would have been similar to ours. After the first two squirrels ran off untouched we decided that we needed to bring on our A-game.

The next squirrel treed in a tall oak. I scanned the limbs with my scope but could not locate him. Bullie shook branches and we did not move him. However, the constant dog barking got to him and he decided to try to hide on another part of the tree. When he jumped to a new limb, MIB spotted him and fired. He peppered the squirrel fairly well, it fell about 10 feet, but caught some branches and dangled high above my head. I popped him with my .22 and he fell to the ground...but immediately scampered off downhill, almost running over the toe of MIB's boots. MIB obviously is not a fast reloader as he just watched the squirrel scoot on by. Either than or he doesn't like shooting close to his feet. I kept him in my scope until he got to a clump of trees.

When we all arrived at this new spot, Jiggs decided she would kill the squirrel since none of us seemed to be able to. She found him in a hole in an embankment and began to try to dig him out. The squirrel moved back and forth in the series of holes avoiding the dog. I decided to help Jiggs out and got down on my hands and knees to dig with a stick. Having two diggers after him proved to much for the squirrel as together Jiggs and I "checkmated" the squirrel so that if he moved backwards or forwards one of us was going to get him. He poked his head out the hole nearest me and I yelled "there he is." Jiggs quickly grabbed him and the dog-squirrel fight was on. The squirrel latched onto Jigg's snout and bit her good. She got really ticked at the squirrel and started shaking, biting, clawing, and dragging his battered carcass down the hill. Finally I caught up with the dog, got her collar and pulled her off, then put a final shot through the squirrels head. It only took three shots and a dog fight to kill this squirrel. Things were definitely not looking good for our team. The squirrels were clearly winning. But at least we now had two squirrels.

We continued to demonstrate to Jiggs our superb hunting skills as she treed more squirels, several of which we did not get, and I could tell the dog was not impressed. We were walking down a trail and we all stopped near a fork in the trail while Bullie checked his GPS. The GPS had begun to "spin" around in circles not locking on to our position. I questioned the value of an expensive device that spun around in circles and could not tell you were you were. MIB and I decided we would consult our GPS maps on our smart phones. While we were comparing maps and discussing our smart phones, Bullie walked off down the trail without us noticing he was gone. I think he may have decided it would be best to just leave the two of us where we were.

I guess we were there a little longer than I thought looking at our maps because when we looked up Bullie was nowhere to be found. We did not know which fork he took but MIB decided to take the left fork. It was all uphill and I wondered why we could not have taken the right fork which was along flat terrain. We trudged up the hill a bit and then stopped. I called out for Bullie but there was no answer. It was at that point that the brillant idea hit me. Why climb this mountain if Bullie did not go this way, I asked? Let's call him and find out where he is. MIB replied he did not have Bullie's number. I could not help but wonder how did he know to come hunt with us if he did not have Bullie's number somewhere in his cell phone but I didn't say anything. It's always best not to insult anyone holding a gun....although it was a good possiblity MIB might have forgotten to reload it again and I might have been safe.

Fortunately I had the number so I called Bullie. After about eight rings he finally answered. I could tell by his huffing and puffing he had obviously climbed the hill we were going up, which he confirmed. We caught up with him as Jiggs treed again. By this time, after 4 hours of hunting we were finally hitting on all cylinders as the powerful hunting team we obviously were. Bullie spied the squirrel out on a limb way up high in the sweet gum. He called me over and I could not get a really clear shot for the leaves but I fired anyway, hitting the limb right under the squirrel who bolted. Bullie backed me up with his 20 guage. The squirrels in this particular woods have developed bullet proof skin as this one also did not immediately drop. So MIB shot him next. After we put enough lead in him to weight him down, he finally fell from the tree due to gravity.

It was close to lunch time so Bullie leashed Jiggs and we headed back. Jiggs has not been able to train Bullie to walk on his end of the lease just yet, as several times Bullie wrapped the leash around trees and brush entangling them both. We got back to the four wheeler, all three of us got on, and we headed out of the woods.

When we got back to camp, one of the guys asked how we did. I replied we got 5 or 6. I took the squirrels out of Bullie's shooting vest and laid them out on the four wheeler. One, two, three, four....hummm. I could have sworn we had a couple more squirrels. I guess we have fisherman's disease and "stretched" our story a bit. One of the squirrels was so young and puny I was sorry we killed him. The other three were ok. We three hunters managed to kill four squirrels out of at least 12 to 15 treed squirrels. Jiggs just looked disgustedly at all of us and slunk off so no one at camp would know she had hunted with us. I thought it best we did not mention that Jiggs had to dig out and kill one of the squirrels for us. Or that we looked rather inept at times with no bullets in our guns trying to kill squirrels.

We just proudly stuck our chests out and swaggered inside for lunch.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Bullie, MIB, and Firecloud go Squirrel Hunting.

Postby Bullie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 pm

This thread should have been titled "Bullie and Jiggs take The Cat Whisperer and Barney (Fife) in Blue Squirrel Hunting".

One of them described training his cat not to talk while they are in the woods and the other one took one "bullet" from his pocket at each tree.

Tomorrow I am gonna fill you guys in on a few more of the hunt details and might even get around to describing what it sounds like when The Cat Whisperer catches a cramp after his nap....
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Pay no attention to Bullie, folks. Would I lie to you? I guarantee you my cat never speaks a word in the woods...or anywhere else for that matter!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:13 pm

The cat doesn't say anything ANYMORE is more like it. But, why would it go against its training and try to carry on a conversation in the woods?

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 am

:)

For some reason, visioning Firecloud eating grass out of the food plot doesn't surprise me .......
gtk
Admin

Postby BIGERN76 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 am

Firecloud, you have truely missed your calling my friend. You should quit your job now, and start writing childrens books. I know kids will like the story cause I did :W: .
Just leave out the part about the man sammich 4 wheeler ride cause it was kinda scary. :shock:
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm

I agree FireCloud you missed your calling!! You are a born story teller!! I was laughing so hard before I finished. And I felt really sorry for poor Jiggs having to be part of it all!! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm

There's really not much left to say after Firecloud's lengthy essay, cept for adding in a little truth here and there where he might have stretched the very fabric of reality.

I am gonna skip all the prehunt nonsense about Firecloud taking his ex some okra as I am positive that was code for something or another, and go right into the hunt. Well, I might need to mention the part about MIB and me waiting for an extra 10 or 15 minutes while Firecloud got his hair and outfit just right. He did all that work on his hair and then put on a skull cap. Go figger.

Anyway, I load the guys up on the 4-wheeler and we head to the woods. I was in easing along quietly and pointing out all the local flora and fauna to my guests when I noticed 3 young bucks trying to slip quietly, and unnoticed, past our little hunting party. Firecloud and MIB had a hard time picking them out, what with all the flora around, but I was finally able to point out the deer before they slowly meandered out of sight.

When we got to the woods Jiggs started treeing squirrels like she is supposed to, but we just weren't seeing them. At one of the trees she made I explained to my guests that "we" commonly use gunfire to move the squirrels if they don't respond to vine pulling and vacate their hiding spots willingly. Firecloud responded to my suggestion by firing one warning shot into a tree several yards away from the tree Jiggs had indicated held our squirrel. Not to be outdone, MIB responded by taking one of his bullets out of his pocket and loading his gun. Jiggs was really frustrated by the lack of initiative on those two's part as she really wanted the squirrel. I noticed that she was silent for a few minutes and I caught her staring at those two like a calf looking at a new gate. Jiggs then gave up trying to figure them out and went back to treeing game for our little hunting party, and did pretty well. We seldom had very long between trees but I used whatever down time there was as best I could to educate those two on all things squirrel.

Firecloud was very interested in my Astro 220. I explained to him that it would tell me the distance and direction to Jiggs and even what she was doing at any given moment. He was watching the screen when the dog icon went from running to "sitting" and I guess the print was too small for him to see clearly as he started asking questions about how it knew she had to go to the potty. I gave him the same sort of stare Jiggs had earlier and kinda walked off leaving him to wonder.

I have no idea why, but the gps wasn't locking onto my position very well and was spinning around a good bit. Firecloud, for some odd reason, thought that the spinning gps signal was the perfect opportunity to start talking about his cat and how he had trained it not to speak when the two of them are out hunting. I pretended to be interested in something on my gps as Firecloud whipped out his phone and started showing MIB pictures of said cat. I waited long enough to watch the life drain out of MIB's face as he realized he was stuck looking at another man's cat then I walked off up the trail as quietly as possible to find Jiggs. She had treed on top of the closest mountain and I figured it was a great time to get some yonder between myself and the cat pictures. The last thing I heard was Firecloud saying, "We (meaning he and the cat) know not to speak to each other while on the stand, now this is a pic I took when she was chasing a variety of butterfly...". I was glad to get out of range of that conversation in time to save myself. I noticed a few bugs that were not so fortunate. One of the poor things was struck down from behind by Firecloud's explanation of cat whispering and fell out of the air stone dead. I was lucky to get away.

We picked up another squirrel or two despite the limited shots fired and everyone seemed to have a great time except for Jiggs. She was clearly dissapointed with the small bag we brought out. As Firecloud said, she did wrap us up in briars and things and few times on the way back to the 4-wheeler but we made it out fine.

MIB, Firecloud, and I had a few sammiches and some chips for lunch. MIB said he had to run some errands or something and broke into a sprint towards his truck when Firecloud pulled out his phone again after lunch and said, "Cats are so easily trained to not talk while on a hunting trip or when their owner needs a nap." Firecloud stared at MIB's vapor trail for a few seconds which allowed the atmosphere to clear of sound for pretty much the first time all morning. He then announced that he would like to take a little nap. There was some work going on at the camp so I told Firecloud that I would be outside helping if he needed me and we could go bowhunting when he awoke.

A couple hours later I went back into the camp for a drink or something and I hear the some really strange sounds coming from the upstairs bedroom. "Mmmmmmmmmmmm, ewwwwwwwwwwwww, uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...." I stood for a second in the kitchen because I was not really sure what I was hearing. I became even less sure as the second wave of sounds drifted down the stairs. "Mmmmmmmm, ewwwwwwwww, sssssssssssssssssss, uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....". I decided quickly that there was really nothing I could do to help no matter what was going on up there and high tailed it back out to the new skinning house. Maybe Firecloud can fill us in on what was happening up there. He asked me if I had ever had cramps when I was back in the camp a little while later. I told him that I didn't think I had ever had any quite like his it seemed.

Anyway, it was a fine time and I would share a hunting camp with Firecloud anytime. He is a hoot to be around. Cept for the cramps.....

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby Bullie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I noticed that Firecloud ain't doing much in the way of filling in....

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby huntall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Dang Bullie, I think FireCloud must have rubbed off on you with you making a post about as long as his storybook! :D
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:28 pm

It takes awhile to fill in the holes in such a story.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby vahunterinms » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm

I guess I need to join in on the next firecloud hunt and show how it's done when the sq's don't move when one moves vines. Heck I sometimes skip the pulling of the vines and go into full attack!!

Hey Bullie next time your GPS does not pick up on your or jiggs position try to calibrate the compass..
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby FireCloud » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:03 pm

vahunterinms wrote:I guess I need to join in on the next firecloud hunt and show how it's done when the sq's don't move when one moves vines. Heck I sometimes skip the pulling of the vines and go into full attack!!

Hey Bullie next time your GPS does not pick up on your or jiggs position try to calibrate the compass..

I suggested resetting the GPS but I'm not sure Bullie knows how. All MIB and I ever saw him do was stare at the spinning dial. You probably do need to come help him out a bit.

Might need to help him learn how to walk on his end of the dog leash too. Every time he wrapped the leash up in brairs or tangled it around a tree, he blamed Jiggs. I felt sorry for the po' dog!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby vahunterinms » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 am

Next time Bullie and I hunt together I will be sure to show him how..

As for learning to walk jiggs he is on his own there.. lol
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby Bullie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:34 am

I re-calibrated the compass several times VA. I think that is why MIB and Firecloud stared at me so much. I guess the spinning around in one place corn-fuzed them.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby Bullie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 am

I neglected to mention Firecloud's true feelings and remarks about my MSU Cowbell app. When I first demonstrated the app for him he smiled and told me how cool he thinks the app is and how super duperty cool he thinks I am. Then his face changed completely and he shared with me how it feels to be an ole miss fan these days what with all the losing and the mascot change and the losing. He was nearly in tears when he described just how awful it is to be a black bear fan as of late...because of the losing. I tried to perk him up by saying that I didn't think he was as much a loser as some ole miss fans. That seemed to smooth him over a little. Just to take him over the top for happy feelings, I rang the cow bell for him again.
Last edited by Bullie on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby vahunterinms » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 am

I had that app on my old phone, very cool app..

Lol on the corn fuzz..
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby jv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 am

Man what a story...when is the tv show going to air? I have got to see this one. :roll:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:13 am

When they get read to start the movie I think Tom Selleck would be best to play my part.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby schoolmarm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am

Bullie wrote:I neglected to mention Firecloud's true feelings and remarks about my MSU Cowbell app. When I first demonstrated the app for him he smiled and told me how cool he thinks the app is and how super duperty cool he thinks I am. Then his face changed completely and he shared with me how it feels to be an ole miss fan these days what with all the losing and the mascot change and the losing. He was nearly in tears when he described just how awful it is to be a black bear fan as of late...because of the losing. I tried to perk him up by saying that I didn't think he was as much a loser as some ole miss fans. That seemed to smooth him over a little. Just to take him over the top for happy feelings, I rang the cow bell for him again.

Just got that app on my phone. Gonna wear out some rebel teddybears...
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby jv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Bullie wrote:When they get read to start the movie I think Tom Selleck would be best to play my part.

I as thinking more in the line of Larry the Cable Guy.

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 pm

jv wrote:Man what a story...when is the tv show going to air? I have got to see this one. :roll:

I want to see the part where Bullie rolled down the mountian...lol :W: :stir: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Bullie, you are a true inspiration to all of us State fans. Trying to help a rebel black bear or black bear rebel or whatever they currently are is truly magnanimous. I can fully understand FC's appreciation for your efforts.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Ok, I was not going to get into the cowbell thing any further but Bullie did bring it up.

Bullie tends to leave some holes in his side of the story too, which I will be happy to fill in for you.

I had been sitting 20 feet up in a lock on stand with a seat smaller than a fence post and a platform not much bigger. Nothing had ventured by my stand. Bullie had dropped me off then headed down to a food plot way back in the woods. He claimed later that he just "hunted from the ground" but I really don't think he was hunting at all when the three does walked out into the food plot. How many true bowhunters "hunt from the ground" at a food plot? Nobody I know!

I had been hearing a few odd noises coming from his direction now and then but was unsure what I was hearing as he was some distance away. Now that I've had time to think about it, I am convinced it was the sound of him ringing that dang MS State cowbell app! I think he was not deer hunting at all but was propped up against a tree keeping track of the State ballgame progress via the internet. Every time State made an outstanding play, like recovering one of their own fumbles (State fans don't have much to cheer about other than stuff like that), he rang that dang cowbell app on his phone.

Before the afternoon deer hunt, I allowed Bullie to shoot my recurve bow. Despite claiming to teach archery, I quickly noted he did not have a clue as to how to hit anything. True to his boasting nature, Bullie stated he would "hit that yellow leaf" somewhere near a small mound of dirt. I laughed at him. There were only about 500 yellow leaves in that area so he was sure to hit one of them. That told me right there he could not shoot a bow. I did not let him get off that easy but put a "post it" note on a stick at an easy 10 yards and told him to hit that. He could not do it but complained that the nock was not holding the arrow on and stuff like that. I'm convinced Bullie knows he cannot actually kill anything with a bow (his elk hunt story proved that) so he just goes out in the woods to watch the ballgame where no one will see him jumping around like crazy and clanging his cowbell app when State punts at the end of every third down. (He cheers if the punt is not blocked!)

Of course, since State rarely does anything on the football field to cheer about, a lot of time goes by where Bullie just sits and stares glumly at the screen while State loses. Bullie had been sitting in silence at the food plot for a long stretch as State got pushed around. That was when the three does arrived at the plot. Just about the time the three does walked into the plot, State's quarterback tripped on his shoelace and the ball spurted out of his hands. It accidentally hit the tight end in the gut who managed to hang on to the ball as he was pushed out of bounds. When the referee ruled the inept stumbling fumble as a "lateral pass" Bullie jumped up in glee and began clanging his cowbell app which is what I heard at my tree stand.

The three does looked up and realized this was a MS State football fan so they moved to the other end of the field exactly 100 yards away from Bullie. The deer knew any State fan was incapable of reaching any goal that was 100 yards away so they just stood there smirking at Bullie's antics. Bullie, of course, sent me a text message claiming to have three does in the food plot. But as with the elk, he did not bring any deer meat out of the woods.

Speaking of the elk hunt story, I asked Bullie at the camp where EXACTLY did he hit that elk so that it rendered the elk unable to use his hind legs? He claimed he shot it right through the lungs. It sounded more to me like he hit the elk several feet to the rear and much higher, like in the spine right in front of his rear hips. I asked Bullie what part of the elk's anatomy would an arrow going through the lungs cut that would cripple the elk's hindquarters? Bullie, who teaches Anatomy, coughed hard a couple of times, but never gave any answer.

Anyway, as you can clearly see, Bullie's version of the hunt story is not nearly as sensible and accurate as mine. So now you know what REALLY happened and why Bullie never kills any deer, elk, or anything else with his bow. He is too busy clanging his cowbell app! :W:

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 am

:pop: Like i said this would be a good tv show...(Jiggs and the Redneck Hunters)

jv
Pope&Young

Next

Return to Small Game & Varmits