• Advertisement

I was attacked

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

I was attacked

Postby LazyGhost » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 pm

This afternoon i decided to go to a stand near the back of my property. I went in at the front gate and walked the 20 minute walk to my stand. 60 yards in from the front gate i passed the place where we dispose of deer carcasses. That doe i killed last week was dropped there but nothings left now except for the bones.

Anyhow, as i was sayin, i walked to my stand and a little before prime time i hear some movement behind me and turn around and i see at least two dogs running around. They never got close enough for me to take a pop shot at. Too much brush. And to be honest i dont usually shoot dogs and am willing to tolerate an occasional disturbed hunt. I hear one bark one time and they eventually disappeared behind me without ever getting a good look. Prime time came and went and just at dark i heard some movement behind me that eventually eased off. I figured it was a deer moving thru.
I get down from my stand and gather my stuff. Turn on my cap visor led light and turn on my cell phone flashlight ap, then head up the hill that comes out at the road that leads me back home. About 70 yards into my hike i hear a dog bark a good ways from me and i stop. I can hear them moving around thru the woods in front of me but my flashlights arent powerfull enough for me to see them. Theyre a ways from me though, but they can see my lights. The dog barks again and this time it has narrowed the distance between us a good bit. I take my one 45/70 bullet i have on me, and load the rifle. Then i hollar so as to let the dogs know i am a human and to try and scare them off. I stand there searching for them with my light and they egentually move off.
After they leave, i take the time to put on my coveralls that i had been carrying. It got cold in a hurry and i was also stalling for time to let the dogs go to wherever they were going. Then i continue on my hike out. When i got close to home, around 60 yards thru the woods from the deer carcus spot, i hear a bark thats definately in that gicinity. I stop. Then i start hearing several barks coming from more than one dog and they are getting closer. I ready myself. I start hollaring to try and scare them off. They start barking with such a frenzy, it sounds like they might be fighting. I was a little confused but they were getting closer and i didnt have time to think about it. Then, around the corner comes one, two, three dogs running right at me barking like lunatics. I was standing on the edge of the road ready to shoot one, and use my rifle as a bat. When they get close im ready to fire from the hip, but i can tell the dogs are blinded my my bright leds. The lead dog runs past me and the other two slow up and i take a hip shot at the 3rd dog, which was a pitt bull and much larger than the 2nd dog. I can tell i missed but he and the 2nd dog reverse course and run off into the woods. At this point im out of amo, mad as hell, and have no dogs to swing my rifle at. I start hollaring and cursing for them to come back and get some but they stay withen the woods and dont resurface. After i calm down and finish my taunts, i continue out. As im walking out i stop every so often and i can hear them moving thru the woods along side of me. They got split up during the fiasko and when i got to the road i could hear something cross the road going towards a neighbors property. I figure thats where they came from and were all headed back home.
When i got home, i grabbed the .22 with a full clip and a headlamp and went back for a rematch. They werent there though.

Now my opinion with dogs has changed. Every dog i see from now on im shooting.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Re: I was attacked

Postby glenn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 am

I understand your anger and agree that any dog that attacks needs to be shot. Remember though, most dogs are not bad. As a side note, carry more ammo and a good light in the future.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 am

One bullet...LOL
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby BIGERN76 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:52 am

EddyBo wrote:One bullet...LOL

Yup.
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am

BIGERN76 wrote:
EddyBo wrote:One bullet...LOL

Yup.

:moon

When i left the house i had two. I noticed i was down to one when i went to load the gun after hearing the bark. Must have dropped one at the stand. I was getting kinda bored with deer hunting anyways. At least now my game opportunities have expanded. They crossed the line when they attacked me and i dont care if theyre neighbors dogs or wild. I guarantee ya i wont have a dog problem by the end of season.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 am

Be careful doing away with dogs you can get in trouble. Ever heard about the three S's. It stands for shoot shovel and shut up. I am a dog lover but understand that some just need to go. I hope you can solve your problem without any legal problems.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby gtk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 am

EddyBo wrote:Be careful doing away with dogs you can get in trouble. Ever heard about the three S's. It stands for shoot shovel and shut up. I am a dog lover but understand that some just need to go. I hope you can solve your problem without any legal problems.

Ditto..

i have just about conceded to the fact that I hunt in a populated area, and I will have to live with housedogs traipsing around, ruining several hunts.

Haveing said that, if one acts threatening, or even farts wrong around me.. well.. "SSS"
gtk
Admin

Postby LadyHunter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

Couple of things here, I am a dog lover.. got the puppies to prove it but what you are describing is scary... real scary. And I think something that most hunters worry about at some time or other as they walk in and out in the dark. I worry about it as I am learning my new lease which is close to some houses. I would talk to the neighbors and see if they belong to anyone, let them know what happened. Then... well SSS!
Also have you given any thought that they might be coming to the remains of the deer carcass? They may well be eating on your property and may be wild.

The biggest thing here (to me) is why just 2 shells??? Are you rationing them? I usually have one in the gun, three in a ready pocket and a pouch of them in my back pack. You can never have to many bullets!!!
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am

I considered going to the neoghbors and seeing if its there dogs and having a talk. Ive decided that since the end result will be the same, it would be best if i not involve my neighbors. If they come on my property.. SSS

Of course they were visiting the deer carcus spot. I dont mind that. Its the trail scentinh me all the way to the back of the property, and then attacking me when i come out thats signed their death warrant. Its not like i stumbled on them and surprised them and thats why they attacked. They pursued me. Now its my turn.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm

And you said I was a disturbed gun nut!

Shooting feral dogs that hunt in packs and attack anything just to kill a meal is justified. I will bring extra ammo next time I hunt with you and see if I can help.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Handle the problem so only you know it was handled. I've been in your shoes but I had a heckuva lot more ammo. :-)
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:15 pm

dublelung wrote:Handle the problem so only you know it was handled. I've been in your shoes but I had a heckuva lot more ammo. :-)

They still one up on me, but my hunts have become more enjoyable when i hear them barking in the distance. :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby joshua99ta » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:43 am

See u know u shoulda had more ammo! I keep 4 in the gun, 4 on the shoulder strap and 6 on the stock cover thingy... all easy access for quick reloads just for occasions like this!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Return to Small Game & Varmits