• Advertisement

Question for you squirrel dog trainers

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Question for you squirrel dog trainers

Postby glenn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

I have a 1 year old female mountain cur out of Hot Rod and Dyna named Shiloh (I think she is a littermate to Breeze). Through the fall she has shown signs of wanting to tree a little but never really completely figured it out. She would tree with another dog, but i think it was more because the other one was barking, not because she knew what she was doing.

Once gun season kicked off I quit taking her because of not having anywhere to go without having a run-in with deer hunters and can't afford to run all over the state. Over the last few days here at the house she has figured out what a squirrel is. I think she is treeing more from seeing them in the trees than by smelling them. She is constantly looking up in the trees and follows them when they move to another tree.

Now for the question. I live in town and I need to know how to stop her from barking non stop without taking away any of her drive to tree. All I have to do is tell her to hush and she will quit, but I don't want to discourage her from barking at a squirrel. How should I handle this without messeing her up, or being run out of the neighborhood?
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: Question for you squirrel dog trainers

Postby sonora redneck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am

I used a shock collar on my coon dog. She knows when that thing is on her neck and when it aint. Never had a problem with her not barking while hunting.
sonora redneck
8 Point

Postby vahunterinms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:55 pm

I know of guys who have used bark collars on their dogs and never had problems with them in the woods, matter of fact one of his dogs is a grand tree champion, night champion and a squirrel champion.

Petey is a inside dog but spends time outside in the backyard. We have plenty of sq's running around in the back and Petey will tree in a heartbeat!! When i have had enough of his treeing on the yard sq's I will open the door and tell him "GOOD BOYYYY!" then tell him "In a HOLE" he will run in or run away from the tree. I do this because thats what I do in the woods in real time situations.. :) I dont want to confuse him by telling him to hush, be quite, or shutup I want him to stop treeing and move on when I tell him "In a HOLE". This has worked great me..

Glen I hope this helps! Good luck with your sq dog!!!

ohh p.s One of the hardest things I had to do when Petey was starting out was we had to hunt by ourselves with no other dogs, I hated that but it's what we have to do. We have to make sacrafices in short term to get what we want out of things. My sacrafice was deer hunting, sq hunting with my buddies, and etc, etc... But, when it all cliques you will be one happy camper in the end!! Good luck

Aaron
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:18 pm

well u could git a trap and catch the squirrles and relocate them...or shoot the squirrles....or cut down the trees so the squirrles will go away...or movee to the country
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby bubu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Pretty much what VA said, I use in a hole to move Stroker along in the woods if he trees in a den. If he happens upon something that gets his attention and I want him to leave it, I will hollar Leave It. Fool with her with the command you want to use but enforce it. It won't take her long to learn what u want. Breeze has the main ones down pat, like ......leave it, drop it, whoa and I use " right here" when I want them to walk beside me when coming out or just to come to me. Hope this helps
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby glenn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but didn't want to move backwards either. It took me a lot of years to figure out that it's better to ask for advice first than it is to mess things up and then try to figure out how to fix it. Shiloh is an inside dog too, but spends most of the day outside. When we get up in the mornings she is having a fit to get outside, which until now has not been a problem. Barking just to bark I know how to control, but this was really bothering me.

As far as hunting with other dogs I will always have to be careful with that becasue she is extremely friendly and will stay right in another dog's face. She drives our lab nuts sometimes and I figure the wrong dog would not take kindly to that. As for a place to hunt, I guess I could go across the road from our camp and hunt on Saddaddy's place. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. :) Anyway, thanks again and I will keep you all up to date on how she progresses.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby vahunterinms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Petey had that same problem when he was younger he was always in anothers dogs face. I always let the other dog do the disapline and when it happened he knew to back off.. Spending some time with our dogs is key not only sq dogs but all dogs. Show them what you want them to do enough times and be consistant will put a smile on your face. I have spent alot of time with Petey and it's paying off! He minds well, he will walk next to me and will not hunt until I command him to, and he loads well. After seeing Todd Pounds with Chipper and hearing what kind of Handle Aritt Davis has on Hotrod I knew that's what I wanted out of my dog. The advice they gave me was to spend time with him.

Bubu has a great handle on Stroker and it shows that he has spent some good quality time with him...

Lot's of people have said in the past that an inside dog will never make a hunting dog! Well I beg to differ some of the best hunting dogs I know are inside dogs. Petey sleeps where he want's but mostly sleeps with my 17 year old but from time to time he will sleep with my 4 yr old daughter and he is a "TREEDOG"

Come on in the chat room when i'm in there and we can talk more bout "TREEDOGS" :)
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Return to Small Game & Varmits