• Advertisement

2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 pm

The Redneck Adventures Handicapped Squirrel Hunt will be on Friday, February 17th and Saturday, February 18th, 2012 in Natchez. If you would like to bring a handicapped hunter, dog, volunteer to help, or a place to hunt please let me know either by posting here, PM, or e-mail to blaster@cableone.net

Friday's hunt caters to the handicapped hunters to provide them with an adventure they will remember. Saturday's hunt is a combination handicapped hunt and competition hunt. Last year we had at least 16 handicapped hunter participate and over 200 others. I will post more information as the hunt gets closer, but we need to start making preparations now to put on the best hunt possible. I will also post some pictures from last year.

Thanks,
Glenn
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Chipper and Dell's group.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (297.29 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:20 pm

The handicapped hunters on this property.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (328.99 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Most of the participants at the same location.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (347.12 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Chandler, one of the handicapped hunters with the gun he won.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (254.68 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Glenn, that looks like alot of fun!!!

After our conversation of this topic the other evening I asked my son if he wanted to got Alabama or go to the Redneck Adventures Hunt. Without hesitation he said lets go to Natches!!! Looks like if everything falls right we will be heading south!!
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

That sounds great. we will be looking for all of you. I was serious about the coons too. We have a ton of them right there at the camp and you won't have to load up and leave to go to bed. I'm sure if there are several coon hunters wanting to come we can find places for everyone to hunt. Even though we won't have an organized hunt on Sunday, if anyone want to stay and hunt then too, I'm sure we can make that happen.

Bullie, Bubu, Fourth Horseman, Sonora Redneck and anyone else that would like to come we would love to have you all.

gtk, is there any chance you could sticky this thread? We want to make sure that if there is a handicapped hunter out there that wants hunt, they get to hunt. Also if there is anyone with a dog that would like to come they get to come.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby reesguide » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Glenn, what ages are yall doing??
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Glenn, what time is the friday hunt?
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm

reesguide wrote:Glenn, what ages are yall doing??


We do all ages, but mostly kids. We will do our very best not to have to turn anyone away. If at all possible we like to know as far in advance what handicapped hunters we will have so we can try to make sure we have plenty of dogs to provide the best hunt possible.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 pm

vahunterinms wrote:Glenn, what time is the friday hunt?


The handicapped hunt will be early Friday morning. Probably not long after daylight. If you can be here then it would be great. The accomodations we talked about will be available if you want to come in Thursday night on through the weekend. If you can't, but want to come in early enought to hunt Friday afternoon that can be done too. The whole point is for everyone involved to have as good a time as possible.

By the way, that Friday is an offical hooky day so it's ok for your son to miss school that day. What better way for a high school student to put in some community hours. I'm pretty sure we had some kids earn part of their community hours last year during this hunt.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby Bullie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Wish I coul have made this one. I hope you guys have a great hunt glenn!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
User avatar
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 am
Location: Hernando, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:00 pm

glenn wrote:
vahunterinms wrote:Glenn, what time is the friday hunt?


The handicapped hunt will be early Friday morning. Probably not long after daylight. If you can be here then it would be great. The accomodations we talked about will be available if you want to come in Thursday night on through the weekend. If you can't, but want to come in early enought to hunt Friday afternoon that can be done too. The whole point is for everyone involved to have as good a time as possible.

By the way, that Friday is an offical hooky day so it's ok for your son to miss school that day. What better way for a high school student to put in some community hours. I'm pretty sure we had some kids earn part of their community hours last year during this hunt.


I will have to do a shift trade with someone from work but dont see that being an issue at the moment. We will try to head down thursday afternoon to be there that night.. As of right now pencil us in.... I will now more when the time gets closer...
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Bullie wrote:Wish I coul have made this one. I hope you guys have a great hunt glenn!!


I hate you can't make it, but if things change the invitation is always open. Thanks for the well wishes.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm

vahunterinms wrote:
glenn wrote:
vahunterinms wrote:Glenn, what time is the friday hunt?


The handicapped hunt will be early Friday morning. Probably not long after daylight. If you can be here then it would be great. The accomodations we talked about will be available if you want to come in Thursday night on through the weekend. If you can't, but want to come in early enought to hunt Friday afternoon that can be done too. The whole point is for everyone involved to have as good a time as possible.

By the way, that Friday is an offical hooky day so it's ok for your son to miss school that day. What better way for a high school student to put in some community hours. I'm pretty sure we had some kids earn part of their community hours last year during this hunt.


I will have to do a shift trade with someone from work but dont see that being an issue at the moment. We will try to head down thursday afternoon to be there that night.. As of right now pencil us in.... I will now more when the time gets closer...


Thanks Arron, I'm looking forward to it!
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 pm

glenn wrote:
vahunterinms wrote:
glenn wrote:
vahunterinms wrote:Glenn, what time is the friday hunt?


The handicapped hunt will be early Friday morning. Probably not long after daylight. If you can be here then it would be great. The accomodations we talked about will be available if you want to come in Thursday night on through the weekend. If you can't, but want to come in early enought to hunt Friday afternoon that can be done too. The whole point is for everyone involved to have as good a time as possible.

By the way, that Friday is an offical hooky day so it's ok for your son to miss school that day. What better way for a high school student to put in some community hours. I'm pretty sure we had some kids earn part of their community hours last year during this hunt.


I will have to do a shift trade with someone from work but dont see that being an issue at the moment. We will try to head down thursday afternoon to be there that night.. As of right now pencil us in.... I will now more when the time gets closer...


Thanks Arron, I'm looking forward to it!


Same here!!!!!
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby reesguide » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 am

Glen, as of rite now put me and my cousin down. He's in a chair but has a ranger and an electric chair to get around with. He is set up pretty good, would be awesome if we could join yall.
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:13 am

I will make sure he is on the list and look forward to having both of you. If you would, pm his information to me and a number where I can contact you when it gets closer. Thanks!
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby LadyHunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 am

Glenn I am not much on Squirrel Hunting, but I sure make a good volunteer if there is anything I can do to help such a good cause!! Just let me know!
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners


WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
User avatar
LadyHunter
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Smith County

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm

LadyHunter wrote:Glenn I am not much on Squirrel Hunting, but I sure make a good volunteer if there is anything I can do to help such a good cause!! Just let me know!


Anyone willing to help out is always appreciated. There is so much that goes on it is unreal. I never dreamed there was so much work involved before I started helping out. There's usually a hand full of people that work themselves to death and no one really knows about it.

I'll try to briefly (you know like FireCloud would :) ) give everyone an idea of what all goes on. We start off on Thursday afternoon at an RV park in Vidalia, La., just across the river to start getting everyone signed in. That night we will meet briefly to pair up the hunters, dogs, volunteers and locations for Friday morning. Anyone that can't be there then but will be there for the hunt will also be figured in if we know for sure ahead of time. We try to properly match up the handicapped hunters abilities and mobilities to the best location suited for them. Things like matching short ranging dogs to the wheelchair bound hunters and longer ranging ones to the hunters that get around good. We then set a meeting time and place for each group for the next morning.

Getting things kicked off in the mornings had always been a problem until last year. What we did to change it was setting all of the meeting places where there were no restrooms, gas, or food. Everyone knew to take care of that before they showed up and if they didn't show up on time they would be left. It was amazing how much better that worked. :) We then hunt as long as the hunters want to, usually late morning. For anyone that wants to hunt during the afternoon we will have places available, but it's more a case of dog men and hunters getting together and doing it on their own, the way they want to. This gives the dog guys a chance to get in a good hunt of their own.

Friday night we will meet back at the RV park. They have a big building to accomodate everyone where we will sign in everyone for Saturday morning's hunt. We always have a big meal for everyone to enjoy. Then we have an auction with hunts, fishing trips, art and all sorts of things. The funds are used to pay for the expenses of this hunt and for other hunts they take handicapped hunters on throughout the year. We try to have everyone lined out on the details for the Saturday morning competition (just for bragging rights) hunt by 8:30 to 9:00.

Saturday morning works just like Friday morning except there will be lots more hunters and groups. We will have groups setup for the handicapped hunters as needed, but most of them will just be hunters having fun squirrel hunting. We may have people going to more than a dozen locations scattered around Adams, Jefferson, Wilkinson and Franklin counties along with Concordia parish, La. We try to accomodate people coming in on Saturday morning to meet up closer to where they are coming from istead of coming all the way to town and then turning around to go hunt. We then meet back at the RV park about 2:00 Saturday afternoon to officially close things out. Again there will be places available if anyone wants to hunt that afternoon. Saturday night there is usually a band and a get together, but it is more of an adult night.

I hope this gives you an idea, though all of the details are not included of what we will be doing. As you can see there is plenty that needs to be done and all the help we can get for any part of it is always appreciated.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby bubu » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Can't say yet if I will make it or not but if any way possible I want to be a part of this , it sounds like a lot of fun.
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby glenn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 pm

bubu wrote:Can't say yet if I will make it or not but if any way possible I want to be a part of this , it sounds like a lot of fun.


That would be great if you can make it. From all the responses I am getting on here and by PM it looks like we will have quite a few MsDeer members there. I don't think anyone will leave disappointed.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
Image
glenn
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: SW Mississippi

2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Stickied
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19210
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby gtk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Things like this is what I get the most satisfaction out of from running this website
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19210
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: 2012 Handicapped Squirrel Hunt

Postby vahunterinms » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:15 am

gtk wrote:Things like this is what I get the most satisfaction out of from running this website


:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Next

Return to Small Game & Varmits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest