• Advertisement

To shoot or not to shoot ????

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

To shoot or not to shoot ????

Postby Racksnspurs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 am

Made a little round this morning with Gus (remember he's 8 months and just treeing a little ) He was all over some trees but did not bark!!! He would leave a go right back to the tree and rear up on it then circle again. I pulled on a vine a finally noticed a squirrel in the vines but still no barks from Gus. So those of you that have trained your pups, would you shoot the squirrel out to the pup or wait until he barks on tree then shoot ???
Racksnspurs
button buck

Re: To shoot or not to shoot ????

Postby SnakeSkinner56 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 am

You might have to get on your knees, scratch and bark while looking up, show him what you want.
SnakeSkinner56
Spike

Postby Racksnspurs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 am

SnakeSkinner56 wrote:You might have to get on your knees, scratch and bark while looking up, show him what you want.

:lol: Does that work ? !!! I might need you to show me how to do it correctly ! :pop:
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby SnakeSkinner56 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 am

Be glad to help you out as soon as I teach my sons dog to crap in the neighbors yard, if I am not shot first.
SnakeSkinner56
Spike

Postby gtk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 am

I'm not speaking from experience, but I would "think" shooting the squirrel out of the tree would just help show him what he is supposed to be doing.
gtk
Admin

Postby Racksnspurs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am

SnakeSkinner56 wrote:Be glad to help you out as soon as I teach my sons dog to crap in the neighbors yard, if I am not shot first.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby Racksnspurs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 am

gtk wrote:I'm not speaking from experience, but I would "think" shooting the squirrel out of the tree would just help show him what he is supposed to be doing.

Thought the same BUT I want him barking when he is treed. Kind of a bad situation. Shoot it out .... He knows what he is smelling but teaching him that he doesn't have to bark . That's why I asking ...dang if u do dang if u don't!!
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby Bullie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 am

Thats a tough one. I shot a squirrel out to Jiggs when she was a puppy that she didn't bark at. I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I don't think you should do it if the dog has ever barked treed at a squirrel. If Gus has done that then there is no reason to shoot out one he hasn't treed on. I wouldn't think. He is a puppy. He will get more confident and start committing.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby vahunterinms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 am

Do not shoot the sq unless he barks. If he doesn't bark then move on. When Gus does tree tie him up, tell him with excitment "Talk to em, talk to em" and praise the mess out of him!! He will soon learn to bark at every tree..

Remember he is just still a baby and figuring out that he has a nose, he will get it but it will just take some time. Right now is a crucial time if done right you will have an awesome tree dog. Patience. Patience is key! Keep taking him in the woods and let him do his thing. Correct him when he needs correcting.. Your doing a fine job with Gus!!! :thumbsup:
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby Racksnspurs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

10-4 !!! He had a couple of trees this morning that he was really interested in and kept looking up and rearing up on the trees but just would not commit. He is still unsure but he is a lot better than he was the first day. He was wide open this morning until we got in the area where he really got interersted in those certain trees. He just never did see the squirrel in the vines. Thanks guys for the advice. Just want to keep heading forward with GUS!! Then maybe someday we can play in the big woods with ya'll !!!
Racksnspurs
button buck

Return to Small Game & Varmits