• Advertisement

One more time

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

One more time

Postby glenn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

My son and I took Shiloh out one more time this afternoon for about an hour. She still has a long way to go to be what I think she will be, but she has come a long way this year. We spent a little over an hour and got 3 down to her. For only being a year old I am as proud as I can be of the way she has progressed. This is her and Dustin with what might be a bad hunt to some, but a super hunt for us.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: One more time

Postby vahunterinms » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Glenn, that is a fine hunt!!! She is well in her way..!
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

One more time

Postby leepurvis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:26 am

Ain't no such thing as a bad hunt if you enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby schoolmarm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 am

Time spent with your children and a fine dog makes a great hunt. The fact that you got some meat is "the icing on the cake".
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby glenn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 am

It's a lot of fun watching her develope. I hate the time has come where we have to stop shooting them out to her. It seems that every time she gets her mouth on one she takes another step forward. I hope between now and next year she doesn't take many steps backwards. One thing she does that inpresses me is every time one hits the ground, dead, or alive she will grab them across the back and bite on them just hard enough to break the ribs. She doesn't break the skin, or mess up the meat, just makes sure they are dead.

For those of you that are thinking about getting one, or have one too young to do much yet, from what I have learned this year, the best advice I have is be patient. This year it has been fun trying to get her going, but all the trips walking with nothing happening were frustrating. She trees all the time by sight in the yard and I thought she would start hammering on them right away. It didn't happen that way. Having to do it totally by smell has been a big obstacle. She will smell them, but even now still has a hard time figuring out where they went. There are several on here like Vahunter, Bullie, Bubu and others that have given me some great advice and kept me encouraged even when things weren't going so well. I want to thank you all for the help and engouragement. I'm sure I will need more in the future as well.

She will usually bounce around from tree to tree trying to figure out where the squirrel went and bark occassionally. The last squirrel yesterday was the first time she has totally treed on her on, got on the right tree and hammered until we got there saying to us, "this is the tree he's in and you better shoot that sucker out to me". We were happy to oblige.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 am

:ylsuper:
gtk
Admin

Postby huntall » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Thats a great start! :2TU:
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby bubu » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Man she looks just like Breeze!!!! Stay after it Glenn,she's doing good
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby jv » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Great looking dog

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone. One person I forgot to thank for all the help is Bullet. He was kind enough to take Dustin and Shiloh hunting with him while I was at work a couple of weeks ago. That gave her a big boost and Dustin learned a lot.

We couldn't stand it and had make this last afternoon. Again it was a short hunt and agian we killed 3. She never really hammered on one, but she did let us know where they were. Here is shiloh and me with today's 3.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:25 pm

nice...now all u gotta do is hang them squirrles on some trotlines and catch some big ole catfish ...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby vahunterinms » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Glenn, you are doing a fine job with shiloh!! Just because season is out doesn't mean you have to keep her penned up.. Take her out on them cool mornings n let her tree and pet her up real good.. I am still learning but petey is n has tought me alot these past cpl yrs.. Just remember it takes alot of patience n woods time.!
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby glenn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks SDK, but you've seen Dustin, do you really think he's going to share with a fish?

Thanks Aaron. We've been having fun. We hunted these last 2 days on the gentle rolling hills along the creek where Dustin carried you, Aaron Jr, Cam, and the others that Friday afternoon at the camp. :W: It gets pretty rough if you go on back. She will get plenty of work between now and the fall. Watching her react to a falling squirrel is what I will miss. She loves to get one while it's still alive, but that doesn't last long.
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30 pm

glenn wrote:Thanks SDK, but you've seen Dustin, do you really think he's going to share with a fish?

Thanks Aaron. We've been having fun. We hunted these last 2 days on the gentle rolling hills along the creek where Dustin carried you, Aaron Jr, Cam, and the others that Friday afternoon at the camp. :W: It gets pretty rough if you go on back. She will get plenty of work between now and the fall. Watching her react to a falling squirrel is what I will miss. She loves to get one while it's still alive, but that doesn't last long.

i dont know about him...but i dont like eating squirrles...they are grosse to me......but i do like catfish....but tonight i did eat some rabbit jambalaya...yummy
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits