• Advertisement

Just A thought On Cur Dogs

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Just A thought On Cur Dogs

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 pm

I really like the squirrel hunting with dogs so my question is, How much does a pup from quality stock go for?
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Re: Just A thought On Cur Dogs

Postby Racksnspurs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 pm

A man with your money it shouldnt matter !! :lol: The "bling" around their necks is what cost but once you get a pup that you do not want to lose it doesn't really matter. Most are going to cost $250 and up from what I have seen. I'm sure you can find some cheaper, but when there is proof of what a bloodline can and will do. The $$$ start to increase. That $250 and up is a six week old pup. Started pups going to be higher of course. Bubu was talking about selling his gyp at one time. Might want to talk with him.
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm hoping Bubu will chime in. and just where did you get "A man with your money" from?? :rotflol: :rotflol:

Actually I am very serious but I do not know where to start
All I know is that I will have to spend countless hopurs in the woods and do not see that being a problem
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby reesguide » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Like Racksandspurs said, its the jewelry thats gonna cost ya. That gps collar is the cat's meow!!!!
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:17 pm

already working on that issue
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby Racksnspurs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm

I know where you can get a 9 month old Hot rod xDell male pup that is started. He is a littermate to my pup which is a full brother to Petey, half brother to Breeze and half brother to Stroker. So he should make it !!! Oh yeah the money thing YOU CAN'T HIDE MONEY!!!!!!LOL
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby bubu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Racksnspurs hit the nail on the head about the $$ on a well bred pup from good hunting stock. You can pick them up cheaper and learn the hard way like I did with my first one for $100. That's what I got too, a $100 dog that wouldn't do nothing. A started dog will cost you from $500-$1000 depending on how started it is. Money couldn't buy Stroker, for 2 reasons.......1 he is part of the family! 2 I couldn't replace him for what I could get for him, not saying he is the best but he makes me happy. If your seriously wanting one I can probably find you one. Let me know if you want a pup or a 6-10 month old, so I can keep my eyes open. You may have to wait a while but it will be worth it for a good bred pup. With that said you will have to hunt the hair off of it, I failed to hunt Breeze hard and it shows but I'm Fixn to change that. She should be going by next year.
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby Ironwood » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm

After you buy the dog and all that bling, that's just starting. Vet fees will be a substantial yearly cost. For instant my little 20 pound dog's annual physical cost $180. There's heart worm medicine, and flea and tick prevention medicine. That's not even counting dog food. It's like adopting a kid. :D And of course, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm

bubu wrote:Racksnspurs hit the nail on the head about the $$ on a well bred pup from good hunting stock. You can pick them up cheaper and learn the hard way like I did with my first one for $100. That's what I got too, a $100 dog that wouldn't do nothing. A started dog will cost you from $500-$1000 depending on how started it is. Money couldn't buy Stroker, for 2 reasons.......1 he is part of the family! 2 I couldn't replace him for what I could get for him, not saying he is the best but he makes me happy. If your seriously wanting one I can probably find you one. Let me know if you want a pup or a 6-10 month old, so I can keep my eyes open. You may have to wait a while but it will be worth it for a good bred pup. With that said you will have to hunt the hair off of it, I failed to hunt Breeze hard and it shows but I'm Fixn to change that. She should be going by next year.

Bubu I am serious but not in a hurry. I have space to work one down here... bring yours down when you need to

Yes Gene I know all about the vet fees and vaccinations.
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby bubu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:42 pm

You want you can fool with now or a weined pup?
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby vahunterinms » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

What are you looking for jerry? 6 week old pup or a started dog?
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby vahunterinms » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

I would recommend a started dog.. Knowing what I know now that's the route I would have taken!
Geting a weened pup takes alot of dedication and lots of sacrafices. I sacrafised my deer hunting but to be honest with you I will prolly never hunt like I used to. This past year I spent 2 days in the woods hunting them wood goats... That's only because I couldn't hunt Petey..
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby Racksnspurs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Those pups will really change your way of hunting / living. Every moment that I am free GUS is in the woods. I do not wont to waste the potential of this pup so I gave up bow hunting this past season. The only time I deer hunted was when my kids wanted to go. I DO NOT REGRET IT THOUGH!!!! I feel like this next fall GUS will be getting after it. All depends on what jbullard wants!!! Do you want to devote the first year to walking and waiting on the "switch" to flip or take one that is started and finish it your way ! Just my 2 cents :D
Racksnspurs
button buck

Postby Bullie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 am

Another idea might be to hunt with some of these dog guys for a little while and see what you like or don't like in their dogs. Info like that will help you focus your puppy choice.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby bulletc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I have a litter out of these dogs at the tree on this video , they are my Rocky and Nightmare's pups . Rocky is a Chipper bred dog and Nightmare is out of my Rat gyp that has had several thousand squirrels shot out to her . They can be shown on the tree night or day , pups will be guaranteed to make it .

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR VIDEO
bulletc
button buck

Postby vahunterinms » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 am

Bulletc, them are some nice looking pups !!! Can't go wrong with a Chipper bred pup to boot!!
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby quigleysharps4570 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:30 pm

I've wanted a good squirrel dog for a long time...just don't have the time to work with one or take care of it as needed. Sure hope you get one someday JB. ;)
quigleysharps4570
Boone&Crockett

Postby schoolmarm » Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 pm

quigleysharps4570 wrote:I've wanted a good squirrel dog for a long time...just don't have the time to work with one or take care of it as needed. Sure hope you get one someday JB. ;)

Quig, have you got a tree up there to work a dog on? :stir: :lol:
schoolmarm
10 Point

Return to Small Game & Varmits