• Advertisement

Garmin astro compass

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Garmin astro compass

Postby davesmtncur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:22 pm

I had an Astro 220 and lost it on the way to the woods one day. Let's just say I don't put it on the hood of the truck any more. So it was the beginning of the season still and I ordered another one. Problem solved right? Not exactly. The "new" one always showed the dog/dogs in one direction while I was looking at them in another. I would calibrate the compass and all would be good for 15 minutes. Then I'd have to do it again. I emailed garmin and they said to ship the unit in. It was an inconvenience but 2 weeks later I had the replacement. Problem solved this time? Not exactly. While this one is better then the "new" one it still has to be calibrated every 45 minutes or so. The original Astro had to be calibrated every 6 months or so it seems. My brother has one and has never calibrated it. His points to the dogs every time.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you correct it? I had thought about trading in the 220 and getting a 320 but I really don't want to fork out any cash. It's tight anyway and $3.70 a gallon for gas doesn't help either. Thanks for any help.
davesmtncur
button buck

Re: Garmin astro compass

Postby mag shooter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Dave , I haven't had any trouble with the compass but a " Master Reset " might help. I think it straightens out some problems ............. you will lose any saved tracks , waypoints , add collars back , and will have to reset personal preferences .
mag shooter
4 Point

Postby davesmtncur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks Mag. I just tried that on Thursday but haven't had a chance to try it out. Might have to try it one day while driving around.
davesmtncur
button buck

Postby jughead » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Dave, do u carry your cell phone close to your garmin. I heard conversation at the umca hunt this weekend regarding this exact issue. After putting cell phone in a pocket away from the garmin they had no more problems.
jughead
button buck

Postby davesmtncur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 pm

I usually have my Garmin in my right game vest and my iPhone in my left game bag vest. I think I tried moving my phone to another pocket but the results were about the same. Seems as though I had my phone close to my Garmin when I had my first one. I'll have to try moving it further away since I didn't have the same game vest last year.
davesmtncur
button buck

Return to Small Game & Varmits