• Advertisement

Quail comeback

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Quail comeback

Postby sidog » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52 pm

The Quail population has dwindled down to nearly nothing here the last few years. After killing 5 Bobcats and some Gray Fox off of our place in two years We have a few Quail showing up.I whistled a Rooster bird out into the yard the other day for My Wife to see and He was a welcome sight.When I first started hunting this place I would see one or two coveys a day on the Deer stand the last couple of years I saw none.I know Fireants are bad on Quail but I think predators and house cats take a heavy toll on them.
sidog
Non-Typical

Re: Quail comeback

Postby gtk » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 pm

i used to always jump a covey or two when walking around the property. Between the developments, cats, & other critters they have about wiped them out. I don't even hear them anymore. :(
gtk
Admin

Postby schoolmarm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 am

had a covey take up residence in yard this year, Of course the fact that mawsquaw was keeping feed and water for them may explain it. Those lil' old roosters would fight like game roosters. We been working on the predators around here too...
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 am

We have quite a few coveys on the one place I hunt. I have nearly had a dozen heart attacks the past couple of years.

The hunting club I am in has a few as well but they are off limits. Not a club rule, more of a sportsman's agreement.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby sidog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:11 am

I love to see quail fight something I havent seen since I was a kid.The season is still open here but I dont know anyone Who shoots them anymore.Out west of here the Blue Quail are plentiful and south TX.has a healthy Bobwhite population but central TX numbers are very low.I was raised with a pen full of Bird Dogs in South MS.We Quail hunted all over south MS.and AL. Since Katrina my Dad tells Me the coastal birds were either killed out or relocated.He's got a little too old to keep up with His Pointers so He's got out of the Bird Dog bussiness.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby schoolmarm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:28 pm

sidog wrote:I love to see quail fight something I havent seen since I was a kid.The season is still open here but I dont know anyone Who shoots them anymore.Out west of here the Blue Quail are plentiful and south TX.has a healthy Bobwhite population but central TX numbers are very low.I was raised with a pen full of Bird Dogs in South MS.We Quail hunted all over south MS.and AL. Since Katrina my Dad tells Me the coastal birds were either killed out or relocated.He's got a little too old to keep up with His Pointers so He's got out of the Bird Dog bussiness.

know what you mean about getting out of the business. I kept, raised and trained bird dogs for many years but the lack of them got me out of the business. Have thought about getting me a Brittany Spaniel just for old times sake.
Funny thing my son just started working for a place named Gun Dog in Starkville that sells all kind of dog training equiptment. Makes me want to start back...
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby sidog » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I wouldnt mind having a Brit or a Lab to retrieve Doves for Me.The last Dove shoot I had here in TX. the Sunflowers were chest high and the Doves were so hard to find and by the time You would find them they would be covered with Fire Ants.
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Small Game & Varmits