• Advertisement

Heard a strange noise this A.M.

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Heard a strange noise this A.M.

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm

I got to work this morning in Collierville, parked the car in the parking lot, and started walking in... I heard a strange noise.. it sounded somewhat familiar, so I stopped and listened closely..

Sure nuff, I heard it again... just across the fence in a hedgerow......There was no mistaking it.... Sounded like "bob bob White".....

I listened to it for about 5 minutes :) It has honestly been years since I have heard a quail whistling. :)
gtk
Admin

Re: Heard a strange noise this A.M.

Postby quigleysharps4570 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm

I gather you don't have many quail in your neck of the woods? :)
quigleysharps4570
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Not anymore quigley.. not anymore.....
gtk
Admin

Postby BigRic » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:47 pm

if you walked up on a covey you would have had to clean yo pants...lol them boogers will scare the devil out of you walking in the woods.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 am

i used to walk up on them, on our place, all the time. We had two large resident coveys, and I was constantly flushing them when walking too/from my stand. I can remember seeing "roost piles" in our fields too.. I wonder how many kids now-a-days know what a roost pile is/look like...
gtk
Admin

Postby mt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 am

gtk wrote:i used to walk up on them, on our place, all the time. We had two large resident coveys, and I was constantly flushing them when walking too/from my stand. I can remember seeing "roost piles" in our fields too.. I wonder how many kids now-a-days know what a roost pile is/look like...

Saw something similar one time after some bad Mexican food. :shock:
mt
10 Point

Postby schoolmarm » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 am

gtk wrote:i used to walk up on them, on our place, all the time. We had two large resident coveys, and I was constantly flushing them when walking too/from my stand. I can remember seeing "roost piles" in our fields too.. I wonder how many kids now-a-days know what a roost pile is/look like...

haven't seen one in a long time. Birds are about gone in our part of the state...
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm

That brings back lots of memories. Back when I was a kid on a tractor I always carried a 20ga shotgun to shoot the rooster quail only to eat for supper. Daddy would clean it as soon as it was shot and put it in a gallon jug of ice water take them home and when we had a "Mess" of quail we et quail.

I used to be able to call the roosters to me by whistling "White,whitewhitewhite" He would answer back Bob bob White Now this was in the summer and mating season we dodn't follow many game laws back then but always had quail on the farm
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Return to Small Game & Varmits