• Advertisement

House Cat or Bobcat?

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

House Cat or Bobcat?

Postby Ironwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I have a branch that runs through my back yard. When I was walking my little dog I happened to see some tracks down in the sand of the branch. The tracks were bigger than any house cat tracks I've ever seen. They are even bigger than some Bobcat tracks. I live less than a mile from Lowes, a shopping center, and a movie theater. I see deer every now and then. Lots of raccoons travel the branch. I've seen a grey fox and a red fox over the years. The branch has about 4 foot straight sides so I wasn't able to measure the tracks but as far as I could tell they look to be about two inches long. Y'all think this might actually be a Bobcat?

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Re: House Cat or Bobcat?

Postby Nogocyclist » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:35 pm

2 inches. I don't believe it's going to be a house cat. A bobcat's track is going to be very similar to a domestic cat's. Main difference is going to be the size.

In my opinion, the most logical conclusion would be that the track is from a bobcat.
Nogocyclist
10 Point

Postby Ironwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Yeah Nogo I think you are right. I've seen lots of Bobcat tracks over the years. I've also seen several Bobcats. However, I've never killed one. I'm just surprised to see those tracks right here in town. I just needed someone to confirm my thoughts. I have a rather larger live trap. I may haul the trap back there and set it with some tuna or sardines. :)
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby schoolmarm » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm

you better hope it's not a wompusscat. Those dudes are bad news and will tear yo' trap up.
schoolmarm
10 Point

Postby Ironwood » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 pm

School if something tears up this trap, I'm moving!
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Return to Small Game & Varmits