• Advertisement

Calling rabbit hunters

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Calling rabbit hunters

Postby johndavid78 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm

We have a ton of rabbits on deer lease.

Looking for someone with a fine set of dogs that don't run deer for a hunt soon after deer season.

Looking for just 2 dog handlers that want to work their dogs for our camp members.

Let me know who is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johndavid78
8 Point

Re: Calling rabbit hunters

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Location ?
gtk
Admin

Calling rabbit hunters

Postby johndavid78 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:17 am

Yalobusha county right off 55

johndavid78
8 Point

Calling rabbit hunters

Postby johndavid78 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 pm

No takers???? We have tons of rabbits!!

johndavid78
8 Point

Postby gtk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 pm

if you were closer I bet I could round up some rabbit dogs. :)
gtk
Admin

Calling rabbit hunters

Postby johndavid78 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Aren't you in Desoto county?

johndavid78
8 Point

Postby glenn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:00 pm

If your stipulations weren't so stiff you would probably have better luck. Having rabbit dogs for about 30 years until a couple of years ago, I always had February weekends booked up with places I knew had rabbits from past hunts. I am by no means saying this is you, but everyone says they have lots of rabbits until you get there. About 1 in 10 actually do. Those are the places you try to keep going back to every year.

Most people with good dogs have a group of 3 or 4 that always hunt together. For me, I would never go unless I could take at least 2 more with me. If you find someone willing to bring just 1 with him, the odds are not in your favor of getting a good pack.

The next thing you have to realize is most have their dogs for one of 2 reasons. One is field trials and they won't hardly go rabbit hunting unless it's on a weekday. There is always a trial every weekend somewhere within a few hours drive. The other reason is to kill rabbits. The way I read your original post, you wanted someone to bring their dogs just to run and let your members shoot the rabbits. It has to benifit both parties. You want to use someone for their dogs to have a hunt because you have the place and rabbits, but without the dogs you really don't have much. On the other hand, someone with dogs and no place to go doesn't have much either.

Also remember dog owners are like parents. Never say anything bad about his dogs, or you can pretty much forget about him ever coming back. He will have some rules about how he wants to hunt them and everyone needs to be willing to follow his rules. He will also have a certain number of people he's willing to hunt with. Whatever his number is, there's a good reason for it. Listen to what he tells you because I'm certain he will know more about how to do it than anyone in your party if he's been at for very long. Most of all, BE CAREFUL!
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:20 am

johndavid78 wrote:Aren't you in Desoto county?

Yes
gtk
Admin

Return to Small Game & Varmits