• Advertisement

porker down

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

porker down

Postby sidog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 pm

I went varmint hunting tonight and wound up shooting a fat little sow in the head with my 17 hornet. She's in the icechest now. The little 17 smoked her at about 70 yards.
sidog
Non-Typical

Re: porker down

Postby terry08 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:49 pm

Congratulations sidog, should be some fine eating.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:04 am

Hard to believe that a 20 grain bullet running 3650 fps can do such a number on a hard headed hog?
Attachments
20151125_211633.jpg
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby quigleysharps4570 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08 am

My congrats. :thumbsup:
quigleysharps4570
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice. Yall eat them? Do they taste diff than farm raised ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtk
Admin

Postby sidog » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:43 pm

I didnt eat this one I gave it to a needy family who does. I quit eating them about 5 yrs ago because of all the diseases they were finding in the feral pig population. I have eaten lots of them and they are good but I just dont want to take the chance. This pig was really fat and healthy looking and I decided to skin it. If I couldnt kill enough deer to fill the freezer I might consider eating the ones that look good?
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby saddaddykiller » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:08 pm

sidog wrote:I didnt eat this one I gave it to a needy family who does. I quit eating them about 5 yrs ago because of all the diseases they were finding in the feral pig population. I have eaten lots of them and they are good but I just dont want to take the chance. This pig was really fat and healthy looking and I decided to skin it. If I couldnt kill enough deer to fill the freezer I might consider eating the ones that look good?

I know a lot of people who eat them...if u cook them properly it should kill all the diseases right? I think its one of them rumors....some people wont eat fish from the ms river but I know people that been eating them their whole life and they are still alive..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:12 pm

its all a setup IMO....the grocery stores probably pay someone to put out a notice that they aint no good to eat....they want u to buy the pork from the local stores.....have u ever actually killed one that DIDNT look good to eat?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:56 pm

I did'nt kill them but I saw two that looked good on the outside and looked good after they were skinned and when the front shoulders were removed green stuff ran out. The Game Wardens warned about Tuleremia and Psuedorabies. They said cooking well done should kill all the stuff but also warned about wearing protective eyewear and rubber gloves while processing?
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:11 pm

if green stuff ran out of something I was thinking about eating, it would probably cure me from eating anything at all for a long long time..
gtk
Admin

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:42 pm

sidog wrote:I did'nt kill them but I saw two that looked good on the outside and looked good after they were skinned and when the front shoulders were removed green stuff ran out. The Game Wardens warned about Tuleremia and Psuedorabies. They said cooking well done should kill all the stuff but also warned about wearing protective eyewear and rubber gloves while processing?

yeah but that's prolly very rare to see them with green stuff right?
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:02 pm

wtg
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits