• Advertisement

Last quail hunt

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Last quail hunt

Postby meat hunter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Gonna take the pups out Saturday and try to run down the last few guail in MS. Ya'll wish me luck.

Times be hard on us quail chasers but I just can't give it up. Every year I gripe about having to buy birds to keep my dogs trained, travel all over just to chase an occasional wild covey and say I am gonna give it up. Trade my bird dogs in for beagles. But every year I am back out there again.

What ever is wrong with me? Must run in the family, Pop still has a pointer and he can't even get around well enough to train her right anymore.

I just thank the good Lord I live where I have the freedom to follow my passion. Cause one day of having a dog you raised (a couple generations in some cases) hold a good solid point while I get my large and soft around to a point I have a reasonable chance to at least shoot AT the bird makes all that frustration worth it. I can't honestly think of a prettier sight than one bird dog locking up solid and seeing the other(s) slide up behind them and honor the point. Unless it is seeing the same dog stand tranfixed with the scent in their nostrils while they eye you getting set. Or watching them stand still as a statue as the birds rocket into the air and waiting, hoping you knock at least one down so the can retrieve the bird.

I guess I'll be in there trying again next year, too. Everyone deserves their own brand of insanity.

Vaya con Dios and good hunting.
meat hunter
8 Point

Re: Last quail hunt

Postby gtk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:07 am

good luck.. i haven't seen any quail on our place at ALL this year.. used to, I would at least have one covey on our place, but not this year :?
gtk
Admin

Postby FC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:54 am

did you hear any 'bob white' talking ? seems I use to hear that during spring time moreso than any other time of year ... wonder if they're more vocal that time of year or they call all year long
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby meat hunter » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Late spring early summer you usually here them a lot. Most studies are done that time of year because they are most vocal then. If I remember right.
meat hunter
8 Point

Postby ree_countrygirl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:53 am

good luck! my dad grew up quail hunting with my great grandfather and i know he would love to do it again. we saw a covey on our place this year and are hoping they will raise. we've seen one or two around the club here, 11000 acres, but they are hard to come by. seeing my greatgrandfather's face light up when dad talks about seeing one on his place for the first time in a long time is worth not trying to hunt them
I'd rather have money in my pocket than change shoved down my throat!!! ~thought it was appropriate!
ree_countrygirl
10 Point

Postby FireCloud » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Insanity or not, I completely understand your passion for quail hunting. My father, his brothers, and friends went quail hunting two or three days a week all season long when I was a child. I tagged along from age 5 until age 12, when I finally got my own shotgun and was allowed to shoot birds. I have to have walked a couple thousand miles behind bird dogs during those years back in the late 50's and early 60's when there were abundant coveys of native wild birds and plenty of places to hunt them. I spent a lot of my time raising the bird dogs and working with them as a teenager. As you say, it is a beautiful sight watching a pointer and a setter work a covey of quail. In those days, you had to kick the quail up from directly under the dog's nose!

I hunted with a 16 guage 26 inch open bore Winchester and became a deadly wing shot on a covey rise. But that was then and now, I would have to use a full choke and hope, as you say, to at least fire in the direction of the mixed breed birds that flush wild way ahead of the dogs. Yep, every true quail hunter is just as frustrated as you have been. And we all long for the "good ole days" when you could hear birds on every hillside giving their bob white calls in the late evening hours.

I'm glad you are at least still getting to work the dogs. Have a safe hunt and good luck!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby meat hunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the support ya'll.

Got my girl all muscled up, ready to go. Now if she can just remember what "whoa, Whoa, WHOA" means. "Where da bird" she has down. "Dead bird, hunt dead" is more of a suggestion in her mind.
My old pro dog is slowing down, stays gimped up half the time.
But iffen we kin find some birds itta be awrite.

Now I understand why you shouldn't ask God for patience.
meat hunter
8 Point

Return to Small Game & Varmits