• Advertisement

Piebald Squirrels (Updated - 2nd One Seen!)

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Piebald Squirrels (Updated - 2nd One Seen!)

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Over the past two years, I have been seeing an occasional piebald squirrel on my land. The photos below are of a young squirrel with a white ring around his neck, an overall much lighter coat with a lot of white hair mixed in, and a tail that has more white hair than grey on it.

- 106.jpg

- 113.jpg

For comparison, here is a photo of one of his brothers, who has only the normal coloration of a typical grey squirrel.

- 109.jpg

I have only seen one or two of these per year on my land and typically all are very young squirrels. They are much easier to spot as they move about, which makes them easier targets for birds of prey, hunters, or any other predators. I suspect most of them get killed before they can grow to maturity.

Two years ago, I shot an almost totally white squirrel that only had a few small patches of grey. That squirrel was not an albino however as he did not have pink eyes or feet but had normal grey squirrel eyes and feet.

Just curious if anyone else sees very many of these piebald squirrels?
Last edited by FireCloud on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Piebald Squirrels

Postby FC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:22 am

Just curious if anyone else sees very many of these piebald squirrels?

That's a First for me ... would make a good addition to someone's collection of
squirrel displays
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby BeardsAndBones » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

Coo, pic, FC. Never saw anything like that is squirrels.
BeardsAndBones
10 Point

Postby FireCloud » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

The nearly solid white one I shot (and ate!) two seasons ago was really a pretty squirrel to see. Less than 20% of its body had any grey on it at all. The almost pure white tail it had was awesome. Since I am still seeing these unusual colored squirrels here, I am wondering if there is a father or maybe a mother still out there in the woods that has this dominant gene characteristic and is still passing it on. This young one was not being very co-operative with my picture taking efforts, but I will likely get some more pics of him. Three or four of his brothers root for acorns every day under the dozen oak trees in my yard and he shows up now and then.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Smacko » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am

That might be one of the squirrels that my brother caught in his trap in the subdivision he used to live in and spray painted white for the hawks to find them easier.... :D :D :W: :W:
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Have seen a couple on our place here in Yazoo. Very strange looking, but I think the others take them out. I will see them early in the year but, later they seem to be gone.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 pm

8)
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 am

Today I got a chance to get a better picture of this unique colored squirrel. Here is a photo that shows his unusual coloration well. Notice he has white feet where normal squirrels don't and also has a white ring encircling his neck. His ears have a more pinkish tone to them too. The tail has so much white in it that it really shimmers in the sunshine. He is a striking little creature and I may let him live so he can reproduce a few more pretty squirrels.

- 412.jpg

Here is a photo of a normal squirrel and you can easily tell the vast difference in coloration between the two.

- 417.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Piebald Squirrels (New Pics!)

Postby FC » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:44 am

He is a striking little creature and I may let him live so he can reproduce a few more pretty squirrels.

:thumbsup:
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby kidd » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

my dad and I saw a mostly white squirrel while hunting out of a shooting house when I was younger.
kidd
button buck

Postby Bullie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Pretty. Recessive traits in the wild are kinda hard to predict. But, you might very well get some more with those genes floating around in the pool.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby FireCloud » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I continue to see more squirrels in my woods with piebald colorations. Here is the most promiently colored one I have seen so far this year. He is a completely different squirrel from one I posted a couple months ago, which I have not seen again. This one has a white stripe down his forehead, a white ring around his neck, white feet, and a large section of either missing hair or white hair on his sides. These are a few of the best photos I was able to get of this one.

Piebald Squirrel1- 092.jpg

Piebald Squirrel3- 094.jpg

Piebald Squirrel4- 113.jpg

Let me know what you think about these squirrels.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Piebald Squirrels (Updated - 2nd One Seen!)

Postby glenn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 pm

I enjoy seeing things like that :ylsuper: .

Many people think stuff like that doesn't exist. Got any Panther photos??????????????? :stir:
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits