• Advertisement

Got Me A Hoover Hog!

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Got Me A Hoover Hog!

Postby FireCloud » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:39 pm

Got me a "Hoover Hog" last night! How many of you know what that is?

I went out about 10 pm to coon hunt for a while. I removed my corn feeder yesterday because it was empty. Not sure when it ran out of corn because I have not checked it in a few days but it probably has been empty for a while. But even so, coons will come back to the area for several weeks just checking to see if there is any corn available. So I decided to sit in my stand for a while in case one came by.

It was a really nice night out, pleasantly cool with a light breeze that started up close to midnight and a half moon that occasionally peeked from behind the clouds. About 10:30 I caught a glimpse of one coon strolling by but as expected he did not stop to feed. Typically on the first pass they just check the area and head on down to Trehan Creek for some fun playing in the water for a while. Later they usually return and rummage for food.

I dozed off a bit after that but woke about midnight and started checking the area for coons. I noticed one coming toward the mineral station stump and got it in my rifle scope. It was really too dark to see much so I tried to hold the gun in the right position while I turned on my light. When I switched the light on, the coon was broadside about 10 yards out but facing away from me. He was moving a little and I tried to keep the light on him while I aimed my rifle. This is where that third hand I have always needed would come in handy. I squeezed the trigger and missed. Night shooting at a live animal who is moving while you are holding a light and aiming a rifle is not easy. The coon scooted off into the woods and I chambered another round, put out the light, and waited.

But after an hour that coon did not return and not other coons showed up. So I climbed down about 1 AM and headed for the house. Upon entering my back yard, I spotted the Hoover Hog! He was about 15 yards away searching for food just outside my garden fence. The last thing I needed was a Hoover Hog to root around in my garden, so I switched the light on and tried holding the light between my knees while I focused my rifle on him. Like I said, hunting alone at night with a light and a rifle is not easy. But I did get off a good shot and hit him well right behind the left shoulder.

The Hoover Hog headed for the thick undergrowth along the creek and left me no alternative but to crawl into the thicket looking for him. I could hear him trying to take cover in a slight depression and after struggling through some heavy cover I managed to get my light on him. I touched off another round and put a second 22 bullet in his side. Then I worked my way to him and he was about down for the final count. I dragged the Hoover Hog out by his tail while I also backed out of the thicket.

When I got him into the clear area of my backyard I put another bullet through his head to finish him off. Due to the fact that some studies have linked eating Hoover Hogs to leprosy, I discarded his carcass into the creek so the turtles could have a meal of him. At least this one won't be getting into my garden. And since it was a female, I probably kept at least four more from being born next spring.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Got Me A Hoover Hog!

Postby Smacko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:43 pm

isn't it another name for Armadillos??
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Sounded fun there!!! I feeled my feeder up sat., and got to thinkin of somin to stop the coons from rackin the corn out... I rigged me up a small cage around my funnel and spinner and i put my cam out so i hope i see how they like that!!! I tryed and tryed pulling it off but it wouldn't break loose , so i HOPE i have them things STOPPED! Steal going to try the grease on the poles ..
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby BigRic » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 pm

[quote="STILLHUNTER"]Sounded fun there!!! I feeled my feeder up sat.,

feeled my feeder up... :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

you mean filled my feeder up.. :W: :stir: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Hey, if the feeder doesn't object, then let the boy have his fun! :thumbsup:

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 pm

BigRic wrote:
STILLHUNTER wrote:Sounded fun there!!! I feeled my feeder up sat.,

feeled my feeder up... :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

you mean filled my feeder up.. :W: :stir: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

I type as i talk ! Can't help how i was raised up!!! :rotflol: :rotflol:
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 am

i caint beeleeve u hunt for coonses at night in a deer stand lol that is hard too believe, i dont think i know anyone else who does that..

you better be careful falling assleep in a deer stand unless you wear a safety harness but i can imagine how peaceful that is and how it can make u sleepy...

does shooting a 22 at night add more pressure to the deer ? and is a hoover hog a armidiller?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Ha ha...my deer stand is a 5' x 7' shooting house situated 15 feet up and supported by four trees. There is enough room in that thing to put in a cot, stretch out, and sleep out there if I wanted too. But right now I just have a chair in there. It has walls and a floor so I am not going to fall out of the thing. I just crank up my thermocell, sit back, and relax to wait on whatever comes by. Sooner or later, everything in my woods comes by this location as I have spent three years training all of them to do that. Many of them check out the mineral station which I keep year round. Others like the corn feeder which I keep out there during the six months of the year when that is legal to do. This time of the year, they also eat the acorns dropped by the 30 inch mature oak that has never failed to produce a huge crop. All year long I plant things at this location, including left over garden seeds, along wtih standard food plot seeds. The animals get a regular buffet to choose from here. And this location is at the intersection of two major game trails which every type of animal regularly uses. All of those things are within 40 yards of my stand and this crossroad location gets plenty of year round activity.

So honestly if you just sit out there and wait, chances are several animals will pass by the stand in any 24 hour period. Rarely have I ever sat there and never seen a single animal. The coons check it out nightly, usually coming by three or four times per night, whether or not the feeder is even there. I have taken the feeder down and still get several photos per night of coons coming by just to be sure there is no corn there up to 30 days after the feeder is gone. Basically, they just put this location on their daily check list and visit it every day just to see what might be there. Most of the other animals check it out at least every few days or so year round. I find it is far easier to train the animals to come to you than it is to try to sneak up on them.

As for shooting a 22 at night, I either hunt with my 22 or my bow. I never use any other weapons when hunting on my own land. I have done some night hunting for varmits such as coyotes and fox with my bow from the stand using rabbit distress calls but that is really a challenge. Night hunting is a lot of fun and there are many animals you can legally hunt year round at night and some others you can hunt in season, like coons.

Finally, yep, Smacko is one smart guy. He was the first to note that a "Hoover Hog is an Amadillo. When Herbert Hoover ran for President he promised a "chicken in every pot" but instead America got the Great Depression. So when people had to eat animals like armadillos because they had no other food, they named them "Hoover Hogs" to make fun of the President's political promise that he did not deliver.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits