• Advertisement

going to be some tough hunting

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

going to be some tough hunting

Postby huntall » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:50 pm

I have been seeing a lot of squirrels on my place eating pecans and acorns. If we dont get some rain to cut down on the noise while walking , it is going to make it some hard squirrel hunting. I dont go but about 3 or 4 times a year but it sure is fun! OH YEA I love some good ole fried squirrel.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: going to be some tough hunting

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I am eating a plate full of baked squirrel right now, with home made biscuits, gravy, fresh black eyed peas from my garden, and a spinach salad, also picked fresh from my garden. Got a couple more packages of squirrel to polish off before season opens. I kill about 100 per year off my land and since bow season opens, I probably have seen 100 of them shaking the trees for acorns. I could have easily killed my limit today.

All I do is still hunt them with a low noise bullet in a .22 rifle. I just slowly walk through my woods and stop at every producing oak and wait. I've got many dozen on my 20 acres and the squirrel love them. You will never sneak up on a squirrel but that does not matter, they will soon reappear and more than likely come right over you to see what you are doing. And usually they stop on a limb and chatter. Just pull the trigger and down they come. It's the easiest form of hunting you can possibly do! When it is dry like it is now, if a squirrel moves and you are still, you can locate them easily. This dry condition works against them but does not affect a still hunter.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: going to be some tough hunting

Postby huntall » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 pm

I have seen some heavy loaded oaks that I have ran off 6 or 8 at a time out of when I have been out and about working on my place.Your right Firecloud I think I could get my limit by waiting them out at a number of these trees without having to do much stalking.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits