• Advertisement

Kurt's Elk Hunt

Information & Stories from the organization "A Hunt Above"

Moderator: Smacko

Kurt's Elk Hunt

Postby Smacko » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:36 pm

We at "A Hunt Above" took a young boy on his "Dream Wish" of an Elk hunt. You all meet Kurt.
Kurt is 11 years old and has been diagnosed with Grade 3 Astrocytoma. He was diagnosed at the age of 10. Astrocytomas originate from cells called astrocytes and are most commonly found in the main part of the brain, the cerebrum. People can develop astrocytomas at any age, though they are more common in adults. Astrocytomas in the base of the brain are more common in young people.

Before Kurt's diagnosis he was a normal kid enjoying things like playing baseball, hunting and fishing. He was Saved and received Jesus in his life at the age of 8. He had brain surgery in July 2009 to remove a proportion of his tumor, but the doctors said it was too much to remove. He started chemo and radiation, but that did not work. He now has a hospice nurse that visits him and makes him as comfortable as he can be.

We took Kurt to Camden Farms in Camden, MS. which is owned by Mike Jarvis. Camden Farms is loaded with all kinds of animals. There are rams, black buck, axis deer, fallow deer, red deer, elk and whitetail deer. We were joined by Mike Jarvis (owner of Camden Ranch), Ricky Helms (guide for Camden Farms), Randy Newell (host of MS. Outdoors), Richard Bearden (The Outfitter), Nick Brown (MS. Wildlife Conservation Officer), Todd Macko ( "A Hunt Above") and Mike Macko (Director of "A Hunt Above" ).
Also, Kurt's dad (Ben), mother (Leigh) and brother (Nathan) joined us in this hunt.
We all went out for the afternoon hunt and Kurt saw all kinds of animals while in his set up. Here are a few pictures of his set up and the animals that he saw.
The Elk were located by a group and radioed Ricky and the stalk was on for Kurt. When Kurt made it to the group, the Elk had been fighting and there were battle scars on them including antlers broke. He pointed out which one he wanted to the guide. The Elk were lying down and after a bit of noise, the elk finally stood up and presented Kurt a good shot.
Here is Kurt and his family with his first ever elk. "A Hunt Above" strives to make all of their hunts geared around the family of the participant.
Here is the owner of Camden Farms, Mike Jarvis, guide Ricky Helms, Director of "A Hunt Above", Mike Macko and Kurt with his first ever elk.
We went back to the lodge and relaxed while supper was being prepared. Here is Kurt with Randy Newell and Mike Macko giving a thumb up from the day event.
We at "A Hunt Above" would like to thank Mike Jarvis, Ricky Helms and Richard Bearden for their hard work on getting this hunt together in such a short notice.
Also we like to thank all of our supporters.
We ask that you continue to be in prayer for Kurt and his family as they fight this battle.

If anyone is interested in a hunt at Camden Farms they may contact Mike Jarvis at 601-955-9799 or Ricky Helms at 662-571-8729
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Re: Kurt's Elk Hunt

Postby WGbuckfever » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:11 pm

That is just awesome. I always love reading and seeing the things yall do for these kids. Thank you!
WGbuckfever
Boone&Crockett

Postby 3spop » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:33 pm

God Bless everyone involved!!!! :2TU: :2TU: :2TU: :2TU: :2TU:
3spop
Spike

Postby deaner » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:22 am

I say that I wish I could help more, this is what it is all about. I feel that the more we can do for children the more we will be blessed. The individuals that take the children on these hunts and give up their days will be rewarded. The problems with anything of this nature is obtaining a place to hunt and etc , this all takes a lot of time. We have the thoughts that they just took this young man on a hunt but this is not all that is involved. I must say to Mike, my prayers are with you and your associates as you continue to take care of our young people. It also involves families and especially the ladies. The ladies are always noticed but do not receive the proper thank you. Thanks to Mike and his lady, I do not retain names.
deaner
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby gtk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 am

Great job, to all of those involved :ylsuper:
gtk
Admin

Postby FC » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

That young man deserves a Big Thumbs Up !!! :thumbsup:

Way to go Kirk ...
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby BIGERN76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 pm

3spop wrote:God Bless everyone involved!!!! :2TU: :2TU: :2TU: :2TU: :2TU:

+1 :ylsuper:
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Congrats to Kurk on his elk......and a big thanks to Hunt Above for making it happen.....God bless all of ya'll
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Return to A Hunt Above