• Advertisement

The Ice is Broke...

The Ice is Broke...

Postby Jellyhead » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Finally got a doe this afternoon...Went to a stand I usually set for bow season only and take down before gun season. This stand is 4 different edges that all come together in a corner. A old pasture, 4-year-old pine plantation, mature hardwoods, and about 16-year-old pine plantation. I hunted it yesterday afternoon and had a doe and fawn come out about 5:45pm. I didn't shoot, mainly because I don't usually shoot does with fawns, but I also didn't want to fool with one and wanted to get home to watch the ballgames :lol:

However, this afternoon was a different occasion...My cousin decided he wanted to hunt this afternoon for the first time this year... My two younger cousins are near as mad at the deer as I was when I was their age :? So, I met him at the cabin about 4pm and dropped him off and went to my stand. The wind is good, NE 5mph, sunny, 65 degrees. About 6pm a spike comes out feeding on acorns and I could hear another deer behind him. The doe comes out alone and feeds to about 15 yards. I drew and made the shot...She ran about 100 yards and I thought I saw her fall. I waited about 15 minutes and decided to go ahead and get down since it was still light enough to see and I felt good about the shot. I went to where she went into the 4 year old pines and followed the trail about 50 yards and there she was.

I had my 3 year old lab with me because I had been out checking cameras earlier in the day. She loves to "Find 'em" and this was a good training op for her. She did great and went right to the doe. We got to the cabin and weighed her in at 95 lbs.
Jellyhead
6 Point

Re: The Ice is Broke...

Postby FC » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 pm

glad everything went your way ... those dogs can make or break a season
FC
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:25 am

Congrats !

How many y'all killed of the farm so far this year?
gtk
Admin

Postby Jellyhead » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Just this one...Rob shot a 8 point last week and never found
Jellyhead
6 Point

Return to JellyHeads Journal