• Advertisement

What does the Acron crop look like up there.

Quality Squirrel Management Association

Moderator: Bullie

Forum rules
1. The QSMA President has the right to EDIT/DELETE anything in this forum as he sees fit.

2. Any disagreements in this forum will first be addressed by his royal highness, the QSMA President.

3. In the event a dispute can not/ will not be addressed by the QSMA President, an outside arbitrator (gtk) will offer his opinion.

4. This is a PRO-QSMA forum.

What does the Acron crop look like up there.

Postby BeardsAndBones » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 am

It is looking fair down here just have not been around any white oaks to see how many they have but the wateroks are look good.
BeardsAndBones
10 Point

Re: What does the Acron crop look like up there.

Postby Bullie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

What little I have seen looks pretty good. I truthfully haven't been out too much.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby gtk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:38 pm

I've haven't been out in the woods too much either
gtk
Admin

Postby phildaddy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 pm

The big Pin Oaks around my house are loaded. I cut five limbs off around four feet in length that were hanging low and I bet there were a thousand acorns on each limb.
phildaddy
6 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I've been doing some acorn survey work on my land, although I have looked at no more than a dozen or so trees so far. My land is in southern Hinds County so the acorn crop may run a little later in maturing than in the northern parts of the state. All the acorns here are pretty small right now.

The good news is that, after the drought and the heat wave, there actually is an acorn crop left. The big 32 inch water oak in my front yard along with a similar sized one at my food plot have a good crop of acorns. I have yet to see those two trees fail to produce a good crop. I have not seen any acorns at all on the red oak at the end of my food plot but it is always an 'iffy" producer. Seems like conditions have to be just right for it to produce anything.

A few of the smaller white oaks have acorns but not as many of the smaller trees I have surveyed are producing this year as last year. My assessment is the smaller trees were less able to tap deeply into the dwindling water table during the drought and did not produce well. We also had a lot of severe tornado and heavy windstorms in our area this spring which may have interferred with the pollenation.

Because I have at least 100 or more oaks that are old enough to produce crops on my 20 acres of land, even if only 25% of them produce acorns any given year, there will still be ample nuts for the wildlife.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to QSMA